Are you dreaming of exploring the beautiful landscapes and vibrant culture of Queensland this Summer?
Check out what to do, where to go and more, right here!
Accessible Travel Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is accessible travel, and why is it essential in Queensland?
Accessible travel refers to the practice of ensuring that individuals with disabilities or mobility challenges can enjoy tourism destinations, attractions and activities without encountering physical or communication barriers. In Queensland, it’s essential because everyone should have the opportunity to experience the beauty of the Sunshine State!
2. How can I find accessible accommodation in Queensland?
Queensland offers a wide range of accessible accommodation options, from hotels with accessible rooms to vacation rentals with adapted features. To find the perfect place, consider using online travel agencies or websites dedicated to accessible travel, and always contact the accommodation provider to discuss your specific needs.
3. Are Queensland’s top tourist attractions accessible?
Many of Queensland’s top attractions, such as the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, and Australia Zoo, have made efforts to improve accessibility. Still unsure? Contact one of our travel experts HERE and we can help find more info.
4. How can I get around Queensland as a wheelchair user or with limited mobility?
Queensland offers various accessible transportation options, including wheelchair-accessible taxis, accessible public transportation, and the option to rent accessible vehicles. Plan your transportation ahead of time to ensure a seamless travel experience. Visit Translink’s accessible travel page for more info.
5. Is Queensland’s climate suitable for travellers with disabilities in the summer?
Queensland’s summer (December to February) can be hot and humid, which may affect travellers with certain medical conditions. Provided you plan for the weather, stay hydrated, and seek shade or air-conditioned areas when necessary, there’s no reason why you couldn’t enjoy a QLD summer!
Now that we’ve answered some common questions let’s dive into a summer itinerary for accessible travel in Queensland.
Summer Accessible Travel Itinerary in Queensland
Day 1: Arrival in Brisbane
- Fly into Brisbane Airport, which offers accessibility services for travellers with disabilities.
- Check into an accessible hotel in Brisbane, which you can explore HERE.
Day 2: Explore Brisbane
- Visit the South Bank Parklands, where you can enjoy wheelchair-accessible riverfront paths and the Wheel of Brisbane.
- Explore the Queensland Museum and Sciencentre, which also has accessible exhibits and facilities.
Day 3: Journey to the Gold Coast
- Travel to the Gold Coast (about an hour from Brisbane) using accessible transportation options.
- Check into an accessible Gold Coast hotel, which you can explore HERE.
Day 4: Beach Day on the Gold Coast
- Spend the day at a beach with accessible amenities like Broadbeach or Main Beach.
- Consider a Gold Coast Surf Lesson with Get Wet Surf School – an experience that accommodates those with disabilities in a safe and supportive environment!
Day 5: Visit a Theme Park
- Book a pass to Movie World, Sea World or Wet’n’Wild, which has accessible pathways, activities and more!
- Ensure you use the provided accessibility map to plan your visit. You can find more info below:
Day 6: Travel to the Sunshine Coast
- Travel to the Sunshine Coast this summer (about two hours from the Gold Coast) with accessible transportation.
- Check into an accessible Sunshine Coast hotel, which you can explore HERE.
Day 7: Explore the Sunshine Coast
- Visit Australia Zoo and experience incredible wildlife encounters.
- Explore the stunning Noosa National Park with wheelchair-friendly trails like the Coastal Walk.
Day 8: Return to Brisbane and Departure
- Return to Brisbane and spend your last night in a comfortable accessible hotel.
- Depending on your departure time, explore any remaining accessible attractions in the city, which can be found HERE.
Queensland welcomes all travellers, and with proper planning, you can experience the best of this vibrant state during the summer (or any season!)
Be sure to reach out to accommodation providers, attractions, and transportation services in advance to make the most of your accessible travel adventure, or, just swing us a message HERE for a personalised itinerary!