Are you ready for the ultimate tropical island adventure in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef? If you’re seeking a day of exploration, relaxation, and underwater wonders, the Frankland Islands Reef, Rainforest & River Day Tour from Cairns is your ticket to paradise.
Frankland Islands: An All-Inclusive Tropical Escape
This fully inclusive tour is an exciting day out in paradise, offering a unique blend of experiences to make your visit to the Great Barrier Reef unforgettable. From the moment you step on board, you’ll be treated to a fantastic range of activities, including a river cruise, a secluded Frankland Islands escape, snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef, a guided island walk, and delicious meals.
Highlights of the Day
- Get up to 10% cash back per person when you book with us.
- 30-Minute Calm Water Cruise: Begin your adventure with a scenic cruise down the Mulgrave River. Keep your eyes peeled for crocodiles from the comfort of your air-conditioned vessel, or step out onto the shaded outdoor decks for a closer look.
- 4 Hours at Normanby Island: Dive into the pristine beauty of the Frankland Islands, a protected national park and natural wildlife haven. It’s also part of the traditional sea country of the Mandingalby Yindinji and Gungandji Aboriginal peoples, adding a cultural touch to your adventure.
- Guided Snorkelling: Explore the underwater world of the Great Barrier Reef with the provided snorkelling equipment. Enjoy a guided snorkelling tour from the beach, and then embark on a snorkelling safari from the boat along the western reefs, where you’ll discover a colourful array of coral and marine life.
- Water Sports: Take your pick from stand-up paddleboarding or kayaking, both offering a fun and adventurous way to enjoy the island’s waters. Clear tropical waters, vibrant coral, and marine life provide a stunning backdrop for these activities.
- Guided Island Walk: Join a marine biologist and Master Reef Guide for an informative and fascinating exploration of the island. Discover the island’s rock pools, fringing reefs, white sandy beaches, and native flora.
- Delicious Meals: Enjoy morning tea served on board the boat, a beach buffet lunch featuring fresh salads, bread, meats, and fruit, and an afternoon tea to keep you energized throughout the day.
- Return Coach Transfers: Seamless transportation from Cairns CBD accommodation ensures you have a stress-free day.
Your QLD Tropical Island Adventure Awaits!
The journey begins with a comfortable air-conditioned coach ride from Cairns, taking you through lush UNESCO World Heritage-listed rainforest mountains. En route, you’ll pass sprawling sugar cane fields and witness the iconic Walsh’s Pyramid, the highest freestanding natural pyramid in the world.
Upon reaching Deeral, just 45 minutes south of Cairns, you’ll board the Turtle Islander, for a calm water cruise down the Mulgrave River. Take in the breathtaking landscapes and keep an eye out for crocodiles as you relax inside or enjoy some time out on the shaded outdoor decks.
Your adventure then takes you to the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, as you cross the shortest open water distance of any Cairns reef day tour. This means more time for exploration (and fewer chances of seasickness.)
A Wildlife Haven and Aboriginal Culture
The Frankland Islands, part of the traditional sea country of the Mandingalby Yindinji and Gungandji Aboriginal peoples, is a natural wildlife haven and a protected national park. It’s a place where rich history meets pristine nature. Discover rock pools, white sandy beaches and healthy fringing reefs that you can snorkel directly from the shore.
Island Activities for All
Enjoy guided snorkelling experiences that showcase the Great Barrier Reef’s remarkable underwater world. An expert crew and a Master Reef Guide will be on hand to guide you through this unique ecosystem. You can even opt for an adventure snorkel safari from the boat, where you’ll encounter an abundance of coral gardens, reef fish, and turtles.
If you prefer to stay dry, try stand-up paddleboarding or kayaking on the calm island waters. The clear tropical seas provide the perfect backdrop for these water sports.
On land, join a guided island walk with a marine biologist and Master Reef Guide, exploring the island’s beautiful landscapes, rock pools, sandy beaches, and lush interior.
Practical Tips for Your Visit
- Make sure to bring your swimsuit, towel, hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen (choose a reef-friendly option). Footwear that can get wet and sandy is essential. You might also want to carry a refillable water bottle and some cash or a credit card for onboard purchases or optional activities.
- The tour duration remains consistent, even if there are changes to the timing due to extreme low tides. Be prepared for varying weather conditions and consider bringing a light waterproof jacket.
- This tour is suitable for families with young children, as they can easily swim and snorkel from the beach. Portable prams are welcome, but please note that there are no paved walkways on the island.
- While the tour is a fantastic choice for guests who may get seasick, if you have concerns, consider taking seasickness medication.
Ready to experience the breathtaking beauty and vibrant marine life of the Great Barrier Reef at the Frankland Islands? Book your all-inclusive adventure today!
(Updated: October 6 2023)
Discover the Fascinating Frankland Islands: Olly Gaspar
Join blogger Olly Gaspar from Week Seek Travel on his Frankland Islands experience!
While everyone goes to Green Island and Fitzroy Island, a series of Great Barrier Reef islands you might not have heard of are the mind-bendingly beautiful Frankland Islands.
This incredible green zone marine park is found just south of Cairns in Far North Queensland, Australia. The good news is, you can organise a day trip to the Frankland Islands from Cairns!
About The Frankland Islands
The Frankland Islands are a series of five islands just outside the mouth of the Mulgrave River. This spot is a little further south of the popular Fitzroy Island.
What’s so special about the Frankland Islands is that the coral reef is absolutely thriving! The reef here is incredibly healthy and biodiverse and in my opinion, rivals the outer reef.
Honestly, I was blown away by just how healthy and rich the reef system is at Frankland Islands. That’s because being situated so close to the mainland, you’d think that it wouldn’t be thriving like it is.
However, out of the 600 different types of coral that grow on the Great Barrier Reef, 200 are found on the Frankland Islands.
There are many reasons why the reef system is flourishing here, but the main reason is due to the unique, non-gravitational current that exists here. This special current washes a lot of essential nutrients over the reef everyday, allowing it to grow and remain healthy.
What to Expect on a Frankland Islands Day Trip
Unlike most of the island trips from Cairns, the Frankland Islands day-trip actually includes a river cruise as well!
After being picked up in a coach transfer from your hotel, you’ll be taken south to the Mulgrave River. On the way out through the Mulgrave, you’ll get an opportunity to spot crocs, just before heading out through the headlands to the croc-free paradise; Normanby Island in the Frankland Islands Group.
Included in the trip was a guided snorkelling tour by a highly-skilled Great Barrier Reef guide. If you’re lucky, you’ll get Michele, who is unbelievably knowledgeable on everything to do with the Great Barrier Reef.
I spent much of the day snorkeling but regathered energy from the hearty lunch. Then, we were offered an island walk where we learnt so much about the formation and sustainability of this unique island ecosystem.
So, what are you waiting for? The Frankland Islands are calling!
Skip the crowds on your next trip to the Tropical North and head out to the Frankland Islands for the island trip of a lifetime – book here.