- Experience the rainforest, the reef, and a tropical island all in one day!
- Return ferry transfers to Fitzroy Island
- Travel along the coastline
- Up to 2 hours of free time on Fitzroy Island
- More time to explore, relax, and play!
- If selecting the half-day trip with lunch, please specify if you would prefer a hot or cold lunch at the time of booking. If no preference is given, guests will receive the cold option (sandwich and wrap)
- Snorkel Hire
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour
- Picnic Lunch
What to Expect
The quickest and most effective way to get to beautiful Fitzroy Island is by ferry transfers from Cairns. This tour departs from Cairns Marina, where you'll board a comfortable vessel and cruise across the pristine reef waters. The cruise will travel towards the shores of Fitzroy Island on a journey that takes roughly 45 minutes.
Once on Fitzroy Island, you have up to 2 hours to explore its natural offerings. You have the option to take part in a range of activities on both land and water including snorkelling, glass-bottom boat tours, kayaking, island adventures, and more for an additional cost. Unlike smaller coral cays or sandy islands on the Great Barrier Reef, Fitzroy was once part of mainland Australia. The island is largely untouched and protected as Fitzroy Island National Park, with walking tracks through the rainforest, heathland, and open forest to the Summit and Nudey Beach (one of the best beaches in Australia).
The tour departs at 11am and offers a half day of fun at one of Cairns' most popular and accessible Great Barrier Reef islands.
Optional extras include:
- Snorkel Gear Hire: Hire snorkel gear and explore the fringing coral reefs in Welcome Bay and Nudey Beach with hard and soft corals only meters from the shore. Flotation vests & lycra suits are included.
- Glass Bottom Boat Tour: Stay dry and book a ride around the island to see some of the best coral reefs around the island. Spot sea turtles and colorful fish as you are guided by expert staff.
- Picnic Lunch: Freshly prepared picnic lunch by Ochre Restaurant & Tropic Spirit Catering. Baguettes or wraps, plus all options come with a piece of seasonal fruit, muesli fruit bar, juice, and a bottle of water. Dietary options available for vegetarian, celiac, gluten, pork-free (must call to arrange) No infant lunch available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Parking is available at the nearby Pier Shopping Complex/Shangri-la hotel, located opposite the Reef Fleet Terminal. Hourly cost is from AUD $1.20 for indoor and outdoor parking. All day parking is also available near Trinity Wharf at approximately $3 per day.
No. You'll need to make your own way to the departure location.
The vessel is pram-friendly. However, walks on the island can be rocky and include steps so are not advised when walking.
- Cash/credit card for additional purchases once on the island
Cruises depart daily from Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal (only a short walk from most Cairns accommodation) at 11am and return at 2.45pm. Check in opens at 10.15am
- Guests travelling to Fitzroy Island will be required to pre-book glass bottom boat tours, guided snorkel tours, and snorkel equipment including lycra/wet suits (to be collected from the vessel)
- Beach hire equipment (stand up paddle boards and paddle skis) will not be available until further notice
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the tour
- Vessel subject to change without notice
- The tour requires you to check-in at the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal, located at 1 Spence Street. If you do not check-in at the date and time specified in your booking, then you will forfeit 100% of the total price paid. At the discretion of the tour, if you miss your boat departure you may be able to reschedule for another day subject to the payment of a rescheduling fee (this covers administration charges and the provision of meals where applicable)
- Bookings cancelled less than 24 HOURS before the tour departs will forfeit 100% of the total price paid (subject to any fees or penalties imposed by an operator other than Raging Thunder).
Reviews for Fitzroy Island Half Day Tour
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation