- Pick up and drop off at your Cairns/Northern Beaches/Port Douglas accommodation
- All your transport in our comfortable AC vehicle
- One of Australia’s most beautiful scenic drives
- Experienced local driver-guide
- 2-hour coastal walk with Kuku Yalanji Cultural Habitat Tours
- Opportunity to taste bush tucker (what we catch!) with homemade damper bread
- Traditional welcome smoking ceremony at Mossman Gorge
- Lunch at the Mossman Gorge Centre
- Swimming opportunity at a water hole in Mossman Gorge
- 1.5 hour Ngadiku Indigenous guided Dreamtime walk
Daintree Rainforest & Ngadiku Indigenous Tour - 1 DayUncover the incredible connection between Australia's Aboriginal culture & Daintree Rainforest
What to Expect
Explore the natural beauty of Daintree National Park on this incredible Aboriginal experience from Cairns. Uncover the history of the world’s oldest living culture, enjoy one of Australia’s most scenic coastal drives, where the reef meets the rainforest and take part in a traditional Smoking Ceremony with the Kuku Yalanji people, the original owners of the Mossman Gorge!
This fascinating day trip provides a unique insight into the beautiful Daintree Rainforest and Mossman Gorge with a coastal walk, opportunity to swim in a turquoise water hole in the middle of lush rainforest, a Ngadiku Indigenous guided Dreamtime Walk and a chance to catch, cook and eat your own bush tucker! Discover the real history of Australia, and witness the beauty of Queensland on this full-day jungle adventure.
We start our action-packed day trip early, with pick up from Cairns at 7:30am. Sit back, relax and enjoy the scenic drive along the Queensland coast as we head past Port Douglas to Cooya Beach.
Here we meet the amazing Kubirri Warra brothers who follow the traditions of their ancestors, the ancient Kuku Yalanji people. Their traditional fishing ground, Cooya Beach has three incredibly diverse ecosystems- beach, mangroves and coastal reef- that are all interconnected by the ever changing mudflats and tidal lagoons. Take in the scenery on an incredible two-hour coastal walk, where the brothers teach us how to throw spears and demonstrate how to hunt for fish, mud crabs and mussels. Learn about bush tucker and traditional medicines as we walk through the jungle, before we cook up our delicious catch over the fire and enjoy home-made damper (Australian bread).
After a well-deserved rest, we drive onto Mossman Gorge, where we are welcomed with a traditional ‘smoking’ ceremony, conducted by local Aboriginal people with unique cultural knowledge. This once-in-a-lifetime ceremony is the perfect introduction to the Kuku Yalanji people’s way of life and will protect you on your visit to their ancestral home.
That afternoon, we visit the Mossman Gorge Centre, where we enjoy a fantastic lunch infused with delicious local flavours at the Mayi Cafe. The specially designed menu features locally sourced produce combined with tasty bush ingredients for a mouthwatering culinary experience! There is also time to explore the gallery, which is full of artworks from prominent and up-and-coming local artists.
After lunch, we head out into the bush for the highlight of the tour, the incredible Ngadiku Indigenous guided Dreamtime walk. Our Aboriginal guides will take you an unforgettable journey into the rainforest and share unbelievable stories and legends from the past. Learn about traditional plant use, identify edible bush foods and uncover the secrets of making bush soaps and ochre paint.
This beautiful walk takes us deep into the rainforest, along private trails and past ancient traditional humpies (huts), as our local guides provide an enchanting narrative of the monsoonal forest and a unique insight into their ancient symbiotic relationship with this tropical environment. Take a break and cool off with a swim in a swimming hole and snap a few last photos of the beautiful Queensland rainforest before we head back to Cairns. Enjoy the picturesque drive back along the coastal road overlooking the Great Barrier Reef, one of the world’s most famous natural wonders. Our day trip exploring the amazing Kuku Yalanji country comes to an end as we return back to the city, dropping you at your accommodation just in time for a special Cairns sunset!
This is an excellent tour for people of all ages, you just need an adventurous spirit.
Although we take individual bookings, we require a minimum of 4 people confirmed to operate this tour. If we do not have 4 bookings on your preferred day we will offer you a place on another trip or provide a full refund.
This tour can sometimes operate in reverse due to tide times at Cooya Beach
We recommend bringing a packed breakfast or eating before we leave
What to Bring
Rain jacket (October- March is normally hot with heavy rainfall)
Comfortable walking shoes
Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
7:30am pick up Cairns
8am pick up Northern Beaches
9am pick up Port Douglas
6pm drop off Cairns
5:30pm drop off Northern Beaches
5pm drop off Port Douglas
- A minimum of 4 people is required to run any of our tours. We will notify you if the minimal numbers have not been met and a full refund will be given.
- Adventure North Australia (the operator) operate throughout regions that are remote and maybe effected by weather and road conditions.
- Our Cooktown Tours operate on the 4wd Bloomfield Track and is subject to weather and road conditions.
- An alternative route via the inland road, Mulligan Highway will be taken in these circumstances - no refund or compensation if this alternative route is taken.
- The operator will endeavour to adhere to all tour details as published, however, circumstances beyond our control, such as road, weather conditions or mechanical failure may require to to alter or cancel any route, itinerary departure without notice but with full consideration for your enjoyment. NO REFUND or compensation will be given in these circumstances.
- The operator reserves the right to cancel any tour, change vehicle type, alter the itinerary or arrange an alternative operator if necessary.
- Adventure North Australia Pty Ltd cannot guarantee pick up or drop off times and are not liable for passenger failure to connect with other services.
- The operator will not accept responsibility for any problem, complaint or claim resulting from the provision of a service or failure to provide a service by any travel partner, transportation, accommodation or other supplier.
- Whilst we make every effort to safe guard our clients and their belongings we cannot be held responsible for personal injury or loss due to events, which are beyond our control.
- Travel insurance is not included
- All children on any tour must be accompanied by an adult.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellations within 48 hours of departure: 100% of the cost
- Cancellations between 48 hours and 7 days of departure: 50% of the total cost
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely