- Pick up and drop off at your Cairns/Northern Beaches/Port Douglas accommodation
- All your transport in our comfortable AC 4WD purpose-built vehicle
- Experienced local driver-guide
- Cable ferry across the Daintree River
- Morning tea, with scones, jam and cream
- Snacks and beverages
- Visit to the Black Mountain
WHAT TO EXPECT
Experience one of the world’s last great frontiers as we travel by 4x4 across Queensland from Cairns to Cooktown. Journey through diverse landscapes ranging from lush tropical rainforest to mountain ranges and even dry Outback savannahs on this one-day 4WD adventure.
Explore the coast from Cairns to Cape Tribulation along the stunning Captain Cook Highway where the reef meets the rainforest before turning inland at Cape Tribulation and off-roading through some of Australia’s most unique scenery. Uncover the history of this region as we drive across fast-flowing rivers and climb from the valley floor to the top of majestic mountain ranges. En route, we stop and meet local Indigenous artists, pop into one of North Queensland’s longest running bush pubs and visit Black Mountain. Experience the highlights of Cooktown before ending this full-day adventure with an epic drive through the Outback, passing cattle stations and old gold mines.
This action-packed 4WD adventure from Cairns to Cooktown, takes you off the beaten track and through Queensland's varied landscapes, from reef to rainforest, outback savannah to arid desert. Journey from Cairns to Daintree National Park, Cape Tribulation to the Palmer River goldfields on this whistle-stop 4x4 trip through the very best of Australia's scenery.
Our tour starts bright and early, with pick up from Cairns at 6am. Sit back and enjoy the ride in our comfortable, purpose-built 4WD vehicles, as we head north, travelling along the beautiful Great Barrier Reef Drive from Cairns to Cape Tribulation. Enjoy sweeping panoramas of the turquoise ocean dotted with coral islands and beautiful reefs and the world’s oldest continuously growing rainforest on the other side. Keep your eyes peeled for more wildlife as we are pulled across the mighty Daintree River by cable ferry.
We take a break in the beautiful town of Cape Tribulation, admiring the views of the rainforest while we indulge in a Devonshire Tea with home made scones, jam and cream and local Daintree tea or coffee. Let our knowledgeable guides tell you stories and historical tales as we continue onto the 4WD only Bloomfield Track. This track takes us through some of Australia’s most incredible scenery, from river beds to mountain tops and everywhere else in between.
Delve into the history of this region, with a stop in the Bana Yirrjji Art and Cultural Centre, Wujal Wujal, on the banks of the Bloomfield River. Marvel at the artwork and uncover the ancient stories of the world’s oldest living culture, the Aboriginal culture. Enjoy a delicious lunch as we talk with local Indigenous artists, picking up souvenirs and enjoying tales of folklore.
Continuing on our 4WD adventure, we visit the famous Lion’s Den Hotel, one of north Queensland’s oldest running bush pubs, dating back to 1875! Enjoy a refreshing drink before we head to the geographical oddity of, Black Mountain. This extraordinary peak is shrouded in mystery and spoken of in ancient Aboriginal legends.
Next up, we explore the historic township of Cooktown. Stretch your legs with a climb up Grassy Hill for sweeping panoramas of the Endeavor River, the Coral Sea and the heritage streets of Cooktown. This afternoon we have some free time to explore, check out the Botanical Gardens or visit the world-class James Cook Museum (entry AU$10).
After exploring the delights of Cooktown, we head back to our AC 4WD for the scenic drive back to Cairns via the inland road, the Mulligan Highway. Enjoy more views as we drive through diverse landscapes, experiencing Australia’s Outback in all its rugged glory, from cattle stations to the Palmer River goldfields. En route we stop for dinner (at your own expense) and watch a mesmirising Outback sunset before dropping you back at your accommodation in Cairns at approximately 9pm.
Although we take individual bookings, we require a minimum of 4 people confirmed to operate this tour. If we do not have 4 bookings on your preferred day we will offer you a place on another trip or provide a full refund.
This tour is subject to weather and road conditions along the Bloomfield Track. If required, an alternative route will be taken.
What to Bring
Rain jacket (October- March is normally hot with heavy rainfall)
A packed breakfast
Money for dinner, souvenirs and activities in Cooktown
Comfortable walking shoes
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
6:30am pick up Cairns
7am pick up Northern Beaches
8am pick up Port Douglas
9pm drop off Cairns
8:30pm drop off Northern Beaches
8pm drop off Port Douglas
- A minimum of 4 people is required to run any of our tours. We will notify you if the minimal numbers have not been met and a full refund will be given.
- Adventure North Australia (the operator) operate throughout regions that are remote and maybe effected by weather and road conditions.
- Our Cooktown Tours operate on the 4wd Bloomfield Track and is subject to weather and road conditions.
- An alternative route via the inland road, Mulligan Highway will be taken in these circumstances - no refund or compensation if this alternative route is taken.
- The operator will endeavour to adhere to all tour details as published, however, circumstances beyond our control, such as road, weather conditions or mechanical failure may require to to alter or cancel any route, itinerary departure without notice but with full consideration for your enjoyment. NO REFUND or compensation will be given in these circumstances.
- The operator reserves the right to cancel any tour, change vehicle type, alter the itinerary or arrange an alternative operator if necessary. Adventure North Australia Pty Ltd cannot guarantee pick up or drop off times and are not liable for passenger failure to connect with other services.
- The operator will not accept responsibility for any problem, complaint or claim resulting from the provision of a service or failure to provide a service by any travel partner, transportation, accommodation or other supplier.
- Whilst we make every effort to safe guard our clients and their belongings we cannot be held responsible for personal injury or loss due to events, which are beyond our control.
- Travel insurance is not included
- All children on any tour must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children rates are 4-14 years, we do not recommend our Cooktown Day Tour for children under 5 years.
- The operator will endeavour to adhere to all tour details as published, however, circumstances beyond our control, such as road, weather conditions or mechanical failure may require us to alter or cancel any route, itinerary, departure without notice but with full consideration for your enjoyment. NO REFUND or compensation will be given in these circumstances.
- The operator reserves the right to cancel any tour if the minimum numbers in a group are not sufficient.
- Bloomfield Track is subject to weather conditions, alternative route via the inland road will be taken to Cooktown. NO REFUND in these circumstances
- The operator cannot guarantee pick up or drop off times and are not liable for passenger failure to connect with other services.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellations within 48hours of departure: 100% of the cost
- Cancellations within 7 days of departure: 50% of the total cost
Read full supplier's terms & conditions