- All transport, including buses between Brisbane and Cooroy, fast trains between Cooroy and Cairns, and return Magnetic Island ferry
- Guidance from fun, local guide and access to Loka web app
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach
- Turtle spotting and Bluff Point walk at Emu Park
- Forts Walk at Magnetic Island
Brisbane to Cairns Hop-On Hop-Off Travel PassTravel Queensland at your own pace with this flexible travel pass. Highlights include Noosa, Airlie Beach and Magnetic Island!
What to Expect
Travel Day: Brisbane - Noosa or Rainbow Beach
MEETING: Outside Nomads Central, Bunk Backpackers or YHA Brisbane (please confim in advance)
From there we start our journey on to the upmarket beach resort Noosa. Hop off here or travel on to Rainbow Beach to spend the night there. Rainbow Beach and Noosa are both ideal departure points for Fraser Island (a backpacker must-do). At Rainbow Beach, we will walk up to Carlo Sand Blow to admire either the sunset or sunrise.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Noosa or Rainbow Beach accommodation. You can use the Stray Mate app to get the latest deals on accommodations.
Travel Day: Rainbow Beach -- Emu Park (Special Stop)
MEETING: outside Dingos/Frasers at Rainbow Beach
We have the morning to relax or do your choice of activities, before heading to Gympie to strat our first train journey. We travel to Rockhampton then get met by a private bus, which takes us to Emu's Beach Resort. We are welcomed onto the resort and find out more about our options for the next day or so. While at Emu Park we have an amazing Stray Treasure Island option with a big day our on stunning Great Keppel Island and your accommodation at Emu Park included (extra cost); or you can choose to just pay for accommodation only and do your own thing. Note: Depending on the day you arrive you may have an additional night at Emu Park to relax by the pool, check out the local town or play Aussie lawn bowls (extra cost).
SLEEPING: Emu's Beach Resort accommodation, bookable via the Stray Mate app
Travel Day/Night: Emu Park— OVERNIGHT TRAIN — Airlie Beach
MEETING: Emu's Beach Resort
If you have opted for the Treasure Island package, we depart early to head to the tropical paradise Great keppel Island at the soithern end of the Great Barrier Reef. relax or have a go at snorkeling or kayaking (extra cost) before exploring the island. We head back to the mainland late afternoon with a quick stop to go on a walk to Bluff Point. have dinner at Emu's Beach resort before we catch the train in the evening and travel overnight to Airlie Beach - the gateway to the beautiful Whitsunday Islands. We grab some breakfast when we arrive and your guide will give you a brief walking orientatoin tour of Airlie.
SLEEPING: Overnight train (price included), then your choice of Airlie accommodation, bookable via Stray Mate app
Travel Day: Airlie Beach — Magnetic Island
MEETING: Outside Base Backpackers
We start our day early with a local bus to the train. Then, we jump on a ferry to the tropical ‘Maggie Island’. A local transfer will bring us to our accommodation. There is plenty to explore on Magnetic Island. Nearly 50% of the island consists of National Park with stunning beaches and abundant wildlife. Your guide will take you on a walk around the Island. Alternatively, you can do more exploring or just chill by the pool. Note: Depending on which day you leave, you may have an extra day to spend on Magnetic Island.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Magnetic Island accommodation, bookable via Stray Mate app
Travel Day: Magnetic Island — Tully (Special Stop)
MEETING: At YHA Bungalow Bay reception or at the ferry terminal (please confirm).
We will travel back to the mainland on a ferry. A train will take us to Tully, where we will arrive at around lunchtime. There you will have the option of participating in Stray’s exclusive Rainforest Experience. We will then travel by bus into the mighty rainforest of Tully Gorge National Park. Take a swim in the scenic Tully River before enjoying a group dinner (modern food with a traditional twist). After sunset, we will go ‘spotlighting’ in the rainforest for native wildlife. Then we can share stories around a campfire before going to bed. Note: If you are not keen on camping you can express straight through to Cairns on this day.
SLEEPING: Camping in rainforest camp area
Travel Day: Tully – Cairns
MEETING: Tully train station (please confirm).
In the morning, enjoy a big breakfast then head off for an interpretative walk into the forest learning about the traditional uses of the plants and wildlife for food, medicine and survival. We will then travel back to Tully to catch the train north. You may like to spend more time in Tully to do a kayak trip or whitewater rafting. We will take the train to Cairns, where we will arrive in the late afternoon. Note: Depending on which day you leave, you may have an extra day/night to spend in Tully at the historic Mt Tyson hotel before heading to Cairns.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Cairns accommodation, you can book via the Loka web app.
Note: Accommodation and food are not covered by the Loka pass. You can break your itinerary at any stop and on any travel day. After you can just connect with a later Loka bus or rail departure (guided or unguided). Accommodation can be pre-booked by using the Loka web app, or your guide will help you to book it. There are two options usually: a bed only option (around $32/person/night), or a twin/double option (around $100/room).
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Loka guide is there to help point in the right direction, give you information on the places we visit and cool things to do there, and above all, make your Loka trip awesome! If you’re a bit nervous about travelling and/or travelling by yourself they’ll be there to answer any questions you have and help introduce you to the other Lokees (Loka travellers).
Forget boring, old bus drivers, Loka guides come from a crazy range of backgrounds – surfers, sailors, drummers, students, but mostly they’re people who love travelling and get a buzz from showing other travellers their favourite places.
A backpack or small/medium suitcase (up to 15kg) filled with:
- Your clothes – mainly light but also at least one warm item
- Swimsuit / Towel
- Bug repellent
- Sunblock / Hat
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Waterproof jacket (shell)
- Loka passes are only valid for people issued in the booking and are non-transferrable.
- Passes are valid for up to 12 months from your date of departure. You can hop on and off anywhere at any of our overnight stops and key activity stops for the total validity of the pass. You have up to 12 months from your date of purchase to start your Loka pass.
- If you miss your confirmed departure date and/or ‘no show’ for a sector, this sector is forfeited and you must make your own way to the next destination. Please ensure you check your itinerary and contact Loka 24 hours before a confirmed departure time to cancel or change a travel date.
- Loka recommends booking your sectors 24 hours in advance, or at least by 5pm the day prior to departure to guarantee to your seat. In peak periods (e.g. Christmas, New Years, January, Easter, School Holidays) we recommend pre-booking your travel dates if you’re short on time to avoid disappointment. Please note on Christmas Day and New Years Day there will be no Loka departures leaving Sydney or Cairns. Depending on your location, your Loka departure time, arrival time and/or inclusions may be altered on these days. Please visit the Loka website for up-to-date travel information. Queensland Rail does not operate any departures on Christmas Day. Services that may have left the previous day but arrive at their destination on Christmas Day, may also be cancelled.
- Our trips are adventurous. Travellers aged 16 or 17 years old can only travel with a signed consent form from a parent or guardian (contact Loka reservations for form). Travellers aged 12-16 must travel with a parent or guardian. Loka is not suitable for children aged under 12 years old.
Please note that the bookings are processed manually and please chat to us before making the booking or you can book with us and your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
For open-dated passes or 48 hours outside a confirmed departure date the cancellation fee is 35% of the price paid for the pass. Within 48 hours the fee is 50%, once you have commenced travel it is non-refundable.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely