- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book through us
- See Seal Island, Wright Island, West Island and the iconic Waitpinga Cliffs
- Say hello to sea lions, fur seals, dolphins and whales who inhabit these waters
- Enjoy entertaining and factual commentary from your tour guide
- Get an exclusive look at West Island Conservation Park, complete with a research hut
Southern Ocean Adventure CruiseFrom Seal Rock to West Island and Kings Beach, discover the incredible wildlife of the Southern Ocean on this exhilarating cruise
What to Expect
During this 1 Hour and 30 Minute cruise around the Southern Pacific Ocean, passengers will get the chance to indulge in spectacular views of Encounter Bay's Islands.
Departing the Encounter Bay Boat Ramp, cruise between the mainland and the northern side of Granite Island, affording spectacular views of both the Victor Harbor shoreline and the islands.
Many visitors to Victor Harbor never get to venture past Petrel Cove on the western side of The Bluff, but this is where passengers on this tour are in for a real treat!
Here, colonies of fur seals and sea lions can be found basking on the rocks and swimming in the shallows, along with pods of common and bottlenose dolphins, who can often be spotted playing or feeding.
During winter, Southern Right and Humpback Whales migrate from Antarctic waters to the relatively warmer ocean aroundAustraliato court, mate and give birth.
As this tour is operated from a licensed whale-watching vessel, passengers have the privilege to enter the Southern Right Whale calving sanctuary of Encounter Bay and to view these majestic animals from the waterline.
The number of whales seen near Victor Harbor is highly variable year-to-year, however Southern Right Whales are much larger and less active (above the waterline) than Humpback Whales, who are more commonly seen on the East Coast of Australia.
For these reasons, whale sightings cannot be guaranteed. The supplier also adheres to the minimum approach distance of 300 meters.
Should whales not be in the area, the cruise will revert to the usual Southern Ocean Adventure Tour.
This tour then heads past the huge spectacular cliffs of Kings Beach and Waitpinga before returning to Encounter Bay Boat Ramp.
All tours depart from the Granite Island Causeway landing, 200m walk along the causeway (bridge) to Granite Island.
Please be at the departure point 15 minutes before departure time. The vessel will depart at departure time shown.
Want to see and explore Adelaide some more? This Scenic Cruise of Seal Island is perfect for the whole family to enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Life jackets and spray jackets are provided for all guests.
Currently a brand new causeway/jetty is being constructed to Granite Island, which prevents us from operating our tours from the old causeway structure. All tours will now board from the Encounter Bay Boat Ramp (Franklin Parade) near the Bluff.
The minimum age is 2 years old on the Seal Island Tour. This is due to life jacket sizing and also the ride can get bumpy with swell and chop.
The supplier also advises that parents with young children are seated at the rear of the boat where the ride is much smoother.
Please arrive early and advise the Captain if you wish to be seated towards the rear of the boat.
Temperatures out on the ocean are often 10 degrees cooler than on the land, even during summer it can be cool, so bring a light jacket.
Please rug up in winter during whale season.
- Booking name required at time of boarding the boat as proof of purchase
- No refunds will be given for missed bookings or late arrivals
- The tour is suitable to run in most weather conditions, however in extreme cases the supplier will either postpone the tour or offer a full refund
- All bookings must be paid in full to confirm booking unless stated or agreed otherwise
- The supplier requires a minimum of 2 passengers per tour and 6 passengers per day to run tours
- Minimum age on all tours is 2 years (due to safety)
- Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed
- Marine mammal watching regulations require a minimum distance of 300 metres from whales in the Encounter Marine Park
- Participation entirely at own risk, with full indemnity to the supplier
- If you have booked an Adelaide pick up, please be at your designated pickup location 10 minutes prior to the pickup time. The bus will not wait if you are late.
- Child rate 2-15 years
- Cruise can be bumpy & not suitable for pregnant women
- On purchase of a tour, no refunds will be given if customer cancels less than 24 hours prior to the departure time.
- The supplier will offer an alternate date or full refund if the tour is cancelled by the supplier
- In the rare event that the supplier has to cancel a day due to lack of numbers, passengers will be offered a rescheduled tour or full refund
Reviews for Southern Ocean Adventure Cruise
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely