- Get up to $30 cash back per person when you book with us to use on day tours before or after your trip
- Transfers to and from the airport and your hotel
- Pre-departure briefing on the night prior to your trek
- All required transportation throughout the trek including the train back from Aguas Calientes
- Packed lunch on Day 1
- Professional, fluent English speaking tour guides
- A second guide for groups of 8+
- Entrance to the Short Inca Trail
- All entrance tickets and permits and taxes
- Medical kit provided
WHAT TO EXPECT
This short hiking tour of the Inca Trail is a unique opportunity for those who may not have as much time to hike the full thing. This trek combines highlights from the original Inca Trail with some of the most beautiful Inca ruins nestled in the dense vegetation of the cloud forest.
During this tour, you will visit archaeological sites such as Chachabamba and Wiñay Wayna (the place that never gets old) and see a wide variety of flora and fauna along the way. You will enter Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate (Inti Punku), where you can take in one of the most spectacular views of The Lost City of the Incas.
Arrive in Machu Picchu in the late in the afternoon and get the unique opportunity to see the city almost empty. You will spend the second day exploring all the wonders of Machu Picchu city. For those with limited time but still wanting to experience hiking in the Andes mountains, this is the perfect trek for you.
Day 1: Cusco – KM 104 – Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes)
On day one of this tour, you will be picked up from your hotel at approximately 4 am (depending on the location) and then drive to Ollantaytambo. From there, its a 1-hour and 30-minute train ride along the Urubamba River from Ollantaytambo (in the highlands) to KM 104 at Chachabamba (in the cloud forest). You will head straight to the checkpoint at Chachabamba to start your trek. Please note, you will need your original passport in order to pass through the checkpoint. After passing through, your first stop will be a beautiful Inca ruin also called Chachabamba. You will then hike along an ancient Inca trail that was abandoned in the 16th century and leads to Machu Picchu.
The first section of the trail is a gradual uphill hike for 4 hours until you arrive at Wiñay Wayna (the place that never gets old). At this point, you will get some time to explore this stunning archaeological site while enjoying spectacular views of the Andes. A packed lunch and refreshments will be provided. Once fed and energized, you will continue your hike to the Sun Gate to catch your first glimpse of the Lost City of the Incas – a truly unforgettable sight. From there, it's a one-hour downhill walk to the city, with breathtaking views along the way.
You will arrive at Macchu Picchu in the afternoon and will, therefore, have the unique opportunity of experiencing the city almost empty. This is the perfect photograph-taking the opportunity! You will then take the bus down to Aguas Calientes where you will have dinner and spend the night in a hotel.
Day 2: Machu Picchu (Lost City of the Incas)
On your final day of the tour, you will have to get up very early to prepare for your visit to Machu Picchu, the Lost City of the Incas. You will go straight to the line to wait for the first bus going up to Machu Picchu at 5:30am. Arrive as the sky brightens, then walk up to the peak with incredible views of the city along the way. On a clear day, you can watch the spectacular sunrise over Machu Picchu. This is truly an unforgettable sight.
Your guide will take you on a 2 to 3-hour comprehensive tour of the city before leaving you in Machu Picchu to explore on your own or climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain (tickets must be booked as far in advance as possible). Your guide will explain how to take the bus from Machu Picchu back to Aguas Calientes for lunch (not included) and then take the train and bus back to Cusco. Your guide will meet you off the train and return you safely to your hotel.
Would like to find more information? Click here to get in touch with one of our agents!
What should I bring?
- Valid, original passport for the Short Inca trail is very important (a copy will not be accepted)
- Valid, Student Card (if you booked as a student)
- Hiking boots for the short Inca trail trek is very important (light, comfortable and broken in)
- A good quality daypack (light, small and comfortable)
- Water storage for at least 2L; either a camel bag or water bottle(s)
- 1 t-shirt (wicking t-shits work best) and 1 pair of hiking pants/trousers
- A nice change of clothes for walking around Machu Picchu (and for taking many photographs!)
- Undergarments and hiking socks
- Rain gear and warm layers
- Hat and sunglasses for the trek
- Sun cream, bug spray
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medication
- Band-aids, moleskin
- Camera, extra batteries for Machu Picchu
- Extra snacks, power bars, chocolate
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips during the Short Inca Trail
- Swimsuit for hot springs in Machu Picchu Pueblo (optional)
Can a Travel Agent help me book this?
Yes, contact us here and one of our agents will be in touch soon.
- Trekking poles: $15 to rent
- Huayna Picchu Mountain (tickets need to be booked in advance).
- Machu Picchu Picchu Mountain (tickets need to be booked in advance).
- First Breakfast, Last day Lunch
- Tips for our staff: TreXperience ensures all staff are fairly paid and therefore tipping is optional and at your own discretion
- Travel Insurance: Highly recommended for all hikers
- Huayna Picchu Mountain: Tickets need to be booked in advance and cost an additional $75 per person
- Machu Picchu Mountain: Tickets need to be booked in advance and cost an additional $75 per person
- Additional Night in Aguas Calientes: $55
- Vistadome Train Upgrade: $55
Embarking on an adventure such as this may involve risk of illness or injury caused by forces of nature, animals, insects, and flora. By booking your trip, you acknowledge these risks and are applying to participate voluntarily.
- All primary deposits are unfortunately 100% non-refundable. However, the earlier you notify us of a cancellation, the better we can assist you.
- 8 weeks to 4 weeks before departure: 60% of the total tour price is due.
- 4 weeks to 5 days before departure: 80% of the total tour price is due.
- 5 days to 36 hours: 90% of the total tour price is due.
- 36 hours or less before departure: 100% of the total price is due.