- Experience the South Island with 7 days of adventure and adrenaline
- Visit the adrenaline capital Queenstown
- Experience New Zealand's epic adrenaline activites as you bungy, skydive, jetboat and kayak (at your own cost)
- Soak up New Zealand’s native bush and explore lakes, rivers, beaches and waterfalls
- Ski in Queenstown during July, August and early September (at your own cost)
- Breakfast provided every day
- Accommodation in Queenstown, Franz Joseph and Mount Cook National Park included
Activities are not included and will cost extra. Activities can be booked from either our website or directly with the tour guide.
Dinner isn't included, so it's the perfect chance to explore the many restaurants and bars in each destination!
Why Do We Love This
We love this trip because it gives you the perfect snapshot of New Zealand's stunning South Island. With local guides who know the best spots and the hidden treasures, this trip is a true Kiwi experience, and we think that's pretty cool!
What to Expect
See the South Island like never before. Spend 7 days in natural paradise as you explore some of New Zealand's most beautiful spots. This trip will take you through funky Queenstown, Christchurch and Mount Cook and will show you some of the South Island gems like the Franz Josef Glacier and Milford Sound.
Day 1: Christchurch - Franz Josef Glacier
Get ready for an adventure! Your day starts at 9.30am at the Christchurch International Airport and from there it's time to head for the dizzying heights of Arthur’s Pass. You'll also cruise by the snow-capped Southern Alps, the perfect spot for a quick photo.
Next, stop off at beautiful Hokitika and explore the local arts and crafts stores.
Afterwards, it's time to soak up some of that stunning New Zealand scenery as you cruise to Franz Josef. The gateway to Glacier country, this spot is a must-see on any New Zealand trip.
As night falls, chill out with a beer and get to know your new friends.
Day 2: Franz Josef Glacier
After breakfast, it’s ice o’clock... today's the day to explore the Franz Josef Glacier. This incredible natural wonder measures 12 km long and is truly a breathtaking sight. You'll want to snap plenty of photos, but make sure you leave some time for activities too. There's plenty to do here!
Spend your day hiking through the ice or tour the glacier from above on a helicopter ride. Or - to get the full Franz Josef experience, do both!
If you're after more of a rush there'll also be the chance to try some quad biking or kayaking.
Day 3: Franz Josef - Queenstown
After breakfast, prepare to be dazzled as you embark on one of most spectacular natural drives in the world. Travel past rugged coastline and zoom through the Haast Pass where ancient rainforests, icy glaciers, and cascading waterfalls collide.
Take a quick rest in Wanaka, home to even more beautiful scenery, and then it's on to Queenstown. This is the adrenaline capital of New Zealand... are you ready?
Day 4: Queenstown - Milford Sound
Today you'll be exploring one of New Zealand's must-see spots, UNESCO-listed Milford Sound.
This spot will blow you away with it's towering cliffs, pristine sea and tumbling meters. With an optional cruise around this stunning place, you'll be fully immersed in the natural beauty. Be wowed as you float through the gorge, and keep your eyes out for wildlife along the way - you might be lucky enough to see dolphins playing in the water around you!
Later, head back to Queenstown to enjoy a beer and a famous Fergburger with your fellow travellers.
Day 5: Queenstown
It's time for an adrenaline rush! Action awaits you today with tonnes of fun activities to choose from. Make up your own itinerary and decide just how crazy you want to be.
Choose from adrenaline-pumping activities like bungee jumping, canyon swings or quad biking or defy gravity and try one of New Zealand’s most scenic skydive spots. Fancy staying on land? Hit the trails for a mountain bike, go luging or take a jet boat up the canyon.
Day 6: Queenstown - Mount Cook
It's goodbye to Queenstown today, but don't be sad, another exciting adventure awaits you. Iconic Mt. Cook, New Zealand’s highest peak, and its surrounding glaciers are today's destination. Known as Aoraki to the Maori, the mountain stands at a mind-numbing 3,724 metres! This National Park is another stunning spot and is full of beautiful scenery and some seriously spectacular views.
There are plenty of short walks and glacier hikes to choose from so lace up your shoes and get exploring.
You'll be tired tonight, so it's the perfect chance for some stargazing.
Day 7: Mount Cook - Christchurch
It's time to say goodbye! After a final breakfast, it's time to hit the road again.
First stop, Lake Tekapo. This is one of New Zealand's most photo-worthy spots, with stunning, turquoise waters and mountain views. Take some time to explore and grab a coffee at a local cafe.
Afterwards, it's back on the road to Christchurch. If you have time, check out the cool pop-up cafés and grab a souvenir from one of the quirky shops. This tour finishes at Christchurch Airport at approximately 4:00 pm.
This is a 7-day tour, starting and finishing in Christchurch.
Frequently Asked Questions
YES! if you give us enough notice, we’ll ensure you’re travelling with your friends!
No more than 16, Wild Kiwi is small and personal!
Your holiday will kick-off at 9:30 am from CHC Airport where you will meet your driver guide and begin your adventure. Your tour will finish in the afternoon on day 7 – so if you are booking flights, make these for after 6 pm for domestic and 7 pm for international flights.
Around $60-$100 per day will be enough for food, drinks and spending money.
Have a look through the Backpacker Deals website for great deals on activities you can do along the way!
- In Franz Josef, you will stay at Rainforest Retreat
- In Queenstown, you will stay at Absolute Backpackers
- In Mt Cook you will stay at the Mt Cook Lodge
Reviews for New Zealand 7 Day Southern Voyager Trip
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- All person(s) who are on the booking form whether at the date of booking or added at a later date must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age on the date of departure.
- We will not be held liable if you are refused entry and we will not refund you for part or all of your holiday with us if you are refused entry to the country in which you wish to travel. If for any reason we incur any costs or financial liability because you failed to obtain the appropriate visa, passport and/or travel documentation then the full repayment of this amount is required immediately to us by you.
- It will be your responsibility to ensure you are at the departure point by the check-in time which will normally be 10 am on your departure date. We will not be held liable for any expenses or costs caused by any travel delays which you may have incurred, in getting to the departure point by the check-in time
- It will be your responsibility to ensure you have adequate travel insurance which will meet the circumstances of your holiday with us.
- It will be your responsibility to ensure you have the appropriate visa, passport and/or travel documentation in order to have a holiday with us in the country you wish to enter.
Please note that the bookings are processed manually and please chat to us before making the booking or you can book with us and your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
- If you wish to cancel your arrangements with us other than failing to pay the balance of the purchase price by the date required then we must be notified of such cancellation in writing.
- The date of cancellation by you will be the date we receive the notice of cancellation. If we receive notice of such cancellation less than 10 weeks, but more than 6 weeks prior to your departure date then we will attempt to refund your payment to you, minus your deposit already paid and a $400 New Zealand Dollars administration fee per person.
- If we receive notice of such cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to your departure date then we regret that we cannot refund you any of the payment which was received by us and accordingly you will forfeit the entire purchase price in full.
- Depending on the circumstances of your cancellation you may be able to claim part or all of the purchase price back from your travel insurance provider.
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.