Take on the challenge of Australia’s most famous trek during this incredible 6 day hike through Cradle Mountain
Trek the Cradle Mountain Overland Track Highlights
- Get up to $90 cash back per person when you book with us
- An epic trek on the Overland Track through Tasmania’s most breathtaking scenery
- Make your way across one of Australia’s most iconic hiking trails
- Delicious meals included: 5 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners
- All transport including: Private vehicle, walking, and ferry ride
- Camping for 5 nights
- Tickets, permits, and comfortable all-season tents included
- Local knowledge of two expert mountain guides
- Flexibility to tackle the trek as you like
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions about Trek the Cradle Mountain Overland Track
You will need to carry all your own gear on this trek. Expect the weight of your pack to be around up to 15 kg. This includes a portion of the food for the trip, and a share of a tent which will be around 1.4 kg.
- Backpack – 65 plus litres [no smaller] & Waterproof Pack Cover
- Sleeping Bag [Down Fill recommended with a minimum of 700 loft to a comfort rating of -2 degrees or better] placed inside a waterproof dry bag. [-2 degrees means comfort not extreme/max rating]
- Sleeping bag liner
- Sleeping mat placed in a waterproof dry bag [Inflatable Thermo-rest, Sea to Summit or Exped brands the best]
- 1 x Lightweight Long Sleeved Shirt [for sun protection]
- 1 x Walking Shorts
- 1 x Lightweight walking trousers
- 3 x Long Sleeved Thermal Tops – mid to heavyweight [Merino Wool]
- 2-3 x T-Shirts
- 1 x Thermal Underwear [long legged made of merino wool]
- 1 x Down Jacket [ long sleeve best option]
- 1 x Mid-weight to heavy Fleece Pullover
- 3 x Pairs of Socks [min]
- 3 x Pairs of Underwear [min]
- Waterproof Jacket. Your raincoat needs to be thoroughly waterproof and made of a gore-tex material or similar [Not Rainbird Brand]
- 1 x Waterproof Trousers
- Dry Bags x 3 [Size of 8 litres or bigger for clothes] to put clothes PLUS full pack liner & a pack cover. Dry bags are waterproof bags [Sea to Summit brand best] to store your clothes, sleeping bag and mat in so that they don’t get wet. In addition, you will also need a pack liner [large waterproof bag] that all the contents of your pack will fit into. (Can be rented, please advise your Intrepid Customer Service team). A pack cover is a waterproof cover that fits completely over the entire outside of your pack.
- Walking Boots – Ankle High – not shoes [leather is more durable]
- Camp shoes – Crocks, runners or sandals Additional
- Sunhat with brim & Beanie Day Pack for side trips [small lightweight foldable stuff sack]
- Gloves – [please bring for all seasons]
- Head Torch & Spare Batteries & Camera
- Drink Bottles and/or Camelback System [no less than 2 litres]
- Toilet paper – in a waterproof zip lock bag
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Disinfectant Wet Wipes for Cleaning Hands & Hand Sanitiser Gel
- Sunscreen, Lip Balm & Insect Repellent
- Extra zip lock bags for rubbish
- Sanitary Items [can’t be disposed of in loo’s]
- Lightweight Travel Towel [small]
- Snacks – the tour will provide muesli bars & scroggin but Please bring energy foods such as chocolate and jelly beans
All group trips are accompanied by a group leader. The aim of the group leader is to take the hassle out of your travels and to help you have the best trip possible. Your leader will provide information on the places you are travelling through, offer suggestions for things to do and see, recommend great local eating venues, and introduce you to our local friends. While not being guides in the traditional sense, you can expect them to have a broad general knowledge of the places visited on the trip, including historical, cultural, religious, and social aspects.
The tour pairs solo travellers with another traveller of the same gender as per your passport or the information in the booking system, so if you identify differently from the gender marker on your passport, please let us know in advance.
Travel insurance is compulsory on this trip for those travelling internationally.
All travellers need to be in good physical health in order to participate fully on this trip.
A pre-departure meeting will take place at 3pm the day before departure at Macpac: 22 Kingsway, Launceston, Tasmania. It is important that you bring your gear to this meeting as the tour will check the suitability of your gear for the trek.
Equipment is available for hire at a small charge, to be paid for at the Welcome Meeting. Available is sleeping bag, sleeping mat, backpack, and raincoat is included. All gear is subject to availability.
Pick-up in the morning of day 1 will be at 7am from at the Macpac store, 22-26 Kingsway, Launceston. The trip will end with an arrival back into Launceston at around 4:30pm on the last day.
Reviews for Trek the Cradle Mountain Overland Track
Total review count and overall rating based on Backpackerdeals and Travello reviews.
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.