- Get up to $90 cash back per person when you book with us
- A 5-day 4WD adventure through The Top End, visiting both Kakadu National Park & Litchfield National Park
- National Park entry fees
- 2 nights in a Resort Twin Share Room, with shared bathroom facilities
- 1 night in a Motel Twin Share Room, with ensuite facilities
- 1 night in an Hotel Twin Share Room, with ensuite facilities
- 1 day Litchfield National Park Tour – visit a natures water park
- A Corroboree Billabong Wetland Cruise, getting up close with crocodiles
- 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, & 3 dinners
- Be guided through two world-class Aboriginal rock art sites (Burrunkguy & Ubirr)
- Admission to Bowali & Warradjan cultural centres
- Join an intimate Aboriginal cultural experience
- The services of an experienced outback driver-guide, providing informative tour commentary
- Transport onboard an air-conditioned 4WD off-road mini-coach,
- Convenient return transfers from selected Darwin accommodation
- Aboriginal rock art viewing
- Select city pick-up and drop-off points
- Meals not listed
What to Expect
Join this exclusive 4wd safari adventure of a lifetime showcasing the very best the Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks have to offer. Discover some of the oldest and best-preserved Aboriginal Rock Art in the world, keep a lookout for prehistoric friends (crocodiles) as you cruise the ancient wetlands by boat. Visit spectacular waterfalls and cool off in some of the most beautiful natural plunge pools imaginable.
You'll be exploring some truly spectacular countryside amongst pockets of rainforest packed with endemic species of flora and fauna. This fully accommodated tour has you relaxing indoors in comfort each night after action-packed days of exploration, culture and unmatched vistas.
Day 1 – Darwin to Kakadu National Park
This 5-day tour from Darwin kicks off bright and early and heads straight to Mary River, where you'll board the Corroboree Billabong Wetland Cruise. Home to the largest concentration of saltwater crocodiles in the world and a variety of native birds, fish and other wildlife, the cruise is a thrilling and educational experience where you'll learn about the biology and behaviour of these apex predators and the local wetland ecosystem.
The journey then takes you into Kakadu National Park where home for the next two nights will be Jabiru. Stop into the Bowali Visitor Centre to soak up the information and presentations about Kakadu's animals, plants, landscapes and rich indigenous art, culture and history. You'll also get a chance to catch a glimpse of the elusive Tingo after checking into your accommodation in Jabiru.
Travelling to the infamous Cahills Crossing over the East Alligator River, spot crocodiles at one of the most dangerous bodies of water in the country. After being guided through the World Heritage-listed sacred site Rock Art Site of Ubirr, you'll then enjoy a magnificent sunset overlooking the Nadab Floodplains before heading back to Jabiru for a delicious dinner.
Day 2 – Kakadu National Park - Jim Jim or Twin Falls – Jabiru Return
Perhaps two of Kakadu National Park's most famous icons are Jim Jim Falls and Twin Falls. Both are spectacular waterfalls that gloriously cascade over the Arnhem Land escarpment into pristine, crystal clear plunge pools at the end of a long adventurous, unsealed, corrugated 4WD track. Depending on seasonal factors and cultural observations, you'll visit one of these impressive waterfalls.
With picnic lunches packed, hike out to the falls, with plenty of time to cool off and enjoy the incredible landscape. The striking contrast between white, sunkissed sandy banks and the dramatic, deep hues of the Arnhem Land escarpment, carved out over millions of years of erosion, is an exquisite sight to behold.
You'll then stop in at Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre. Developed by traditional custodians, the centre offers visitors an interactive and educational insight into Kakadu's incredible history and cultural significance. See artefacts, artwork, displays and hear fascinating stories from Aboriginal elders. You'll also have the opportunity to purchase authentic handcrafted arts and crafts, didgeridoos, books and cards made by local artisans.
Return to Jabiru for the night.
Day 3 – Jabiru to Pine Creek
Start day three as the sun rises at one of the best scenic lookouts in the park – the Nawurlandja Lookout. Cook up a delicious breakfast together by the Anabangbang Billabong.
Next, explore Burrungkuy, also known as 'Nourlangie' and appreciate some of the oldest and best-preserved indigenous rock art paintings in the world in the Anabangbang Gallery. Many of the paintings depict ancient ancestral beings and represent important stories, beliefs, knowledge and mythological figures from Bininj Culture. It provides a profound insight into the rich cultural traditions of the Bininj people and their spiritual relationship and connection to the land.
You'll also climb up to the Kunwarddewardde Lookout for incredible views over Kakadu's escarpment and the savannah woodlands below. Next, travel south along another 4WD track to 'Maguk' (previously known as Barramundi Gorge) to enjoy a picnic lunch by an exquisite natural waterfall and pristine, pandanus-lined plunge pool.
After a 2 kilometre walk exploring the magical contrast and diversity of spectacular savanna landscapes, pristine natural rock pools, wild, rugged cliffs and rocky escarpments, you'll retire to the historic mining town of Pine Creek to settle in for the evening.
Day 4 – Pine Creek to Darwin
The adventure today takes you to either Edith Falls or Butterfly Gorge. Edith Falls, traditionally known as 'Leliyn', is a majestic series of cascades and pristine rock pools spread out along the Edith River. Meanwhile, Butterfly Gorge is another secluded paradise hidden away at the base of a low sandstone plateau with a series of rock pools shaded by towering paperbarks, and it's also home to thousands of common crow butterflies.
Depending on the time of year and access conditions, you'll spend the morning cooling off and taking a swim in the crystal clear waters of one of these incredible waterfalls. Both sites are excellent recreational areas, perfect for a picnic lunch and a chance to immerse yourself in the peaceful ambience and spectacular beauty of the sandstone landscape and rocky spinifex country.
It's then time to journey back towards Darwin along the Stuart Highway, stopping in at the Adelaide River War Cemetery, one of the largest cemeteries in Australia and a historically significant, heritage-listed site from World War II.
Arrive back in Darwin at your hotel for the night. Once back in town, you have the option to unwind at the hotel or take some self-guided exploration down to watch the sunset over the ocean at the Mindil Beach markets and browse through the unique outdoor stalls and experience arts, crafts and cuisine from around the world.
This evening is yours to purchase dinner and discover before making your own way back to your central Darwin Hotel. Your guide will provide all info on your walking or transport options around town.
Day 5 – Darwin to Litchfield National Park to Darwin
The final morning of this 5-day Kakadu tour starts with a visit to Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve, a wildlife haven with abundant native animals, rare birds, turtles, water pythons, and of course, crocodiles.
Then spend the afternoon exploring Litchfield National Park. A natural wonderland of majestic waterfalls, Litchfield is also home to some of the largest magnetic termite mounds in the Top End. Towering up to 2 metres high and up to 100 years old, these wedge-shaped, tombstone-like silhouettes spread out across the vast savannah plain is a uniquely impressive sight to behold.
The largest and perhaps most well-known attraction here is Wangi Falls (seasonal vist), a massive, segmented double waterfall that cascades over a steep rock escarpment into a huge plunge pool. You'll also visit the hugely popular swimming spots of either Florence Falls, another spectacular double waterfall and swimming hole with panoramic views of the open valley gorge, or Buley Rockhole, an ancient oasis of picturesque rock pools, natural spas and whirlpools. It's a perfect place to rejuvenate and soak after a long day of exploration before returning to Darwin.
Where we Visit:
- Corroboree Billabong Wetland Cruise
- Kakadu National Park
- Mamukala Wetlands
- Cahill's Crossing
- Jim Jim Falls or Twin Falls (conditions permitting)
- Warradjan Visitor Centre
- Nawurlandja Lookout
- Anabangbang Billabong
- Burrungkuy Rock Art
- Pine Creek
- Butterfly Gorge
- Adelaide River
- Mindil Markets
- Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve
- Litchfield National Park
- Magnetic Termite Mounds
- Florence Falls or Buley Rockhole
- Wangi Falls (seasonal)
*Seasonal access permitting, falls are rarely open before June. Highlights are a guideline, Kakadu’s diverse landscape and weather conditions mean a high amount of change and flexibility in the itinerary is expected. Your expert guides will ensure the most amazing adventure is had by all!
Reviews for 5 Day, 4 Night Kakadu & Litchfield Outback Adventure
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
- The minimum age is 12 years. Not suitable for infants or children 11 years and under. All travellers under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult or guardian
- It is the customer’s responsibility to be waiting out the front of your selected pickup location (accommodation provider) at least 10 minutes before departure
- Please notify the Operator of any dietary requirements, food allergies and/or medical conditions at the time of booking or 7-days prior to tour departure
- This itinerary schedule is interchangeable during seasonal weather fluctuations or during park closures due to traditional land owner ceremonies
- There is limited storage space on the vehicle so baggage must be kept to 1 x 15kg travel bag, 1 x 5kg day bag
- This Twin Share fare price is (per person) for adults or children. Solo passengers who book this fare option will be paired in a room with another traveller, where possible with the same gender but not guaranteed
- Although every effort is made, the supplier shall not be liable for any illness, injury, damages, loss, delay or failure to join the tour that may occur due to factors beyond our control. We highly recommend all passenger have travel insurance coverage.
- The supplier retains the right to alter routes, itineraries, bus types and configurations, fares adjustments, days of operation or even cancel tours if unforeseen circumstances occur. Other accredited tour operators may be used on some tours.
- The customer shall comply with all Government (Federal, State and Territory) COVID entry restrictions and vaccination guidelines or testing requirements for entry into Australia and/or at the time of travel for tour and transport services. Where the customer is not vaccinated and/or tested prior to departure, the customer will forfeit any and all monies paid and GLT holds the right to refuse to board. Where the customer cancels due to travel restrictions other than vaccination or testing requirements, the operator shall have the discretion to
(a) offer a refund or credit voucher (to be used at a later time); or
(b) to forfeit any and all monies paid by the customer.
For the purposes of (a), the operator reserves the right to withhold such a reasonable sum to cover administrative expenses and other losses, dependent on when notice of cancellation is given by the customer.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
(a) Flexible Date Changes – unlimited supply of free date changes available up until 30-days prior to departure; or
(b) 14 to 30-days prior to departure:
- we will hold 100% of monies paid by you as a credit voucher, valid for redemption within 3-years from date of purchase
- any credit voucher resulting from a cancellation may be applied towards any other tour operated by GLT within Australia; or
(c) 31-days or more prior to departure,
- we will refund the balance paid by you in connection to your booking less any unrecoverable costs; or
(d) failure to board on tour or cancelled within 14-days will result in full fare forfeiture of the ticket price and not eligible for a refund.
Any credit travel voucher resulting from a cancellation under (Cancellation by the Traveller) has an expiry date of 3 years and may be applied towards any other available trip offered by us. This credit is transferable however not redeemable for cash.
Note different cancellation conditions may apply if/when booked through third party agents, your travel consultant will advise if differences apply. We strongly advise you to take out cancellation insurance at the time of booking. If you leave a trip for any reason after it has commenced, we are not obliged to make any refunds for unused services. If you fail to join a trip, join it after departure, or leave it prior to its completion, no refund will be made or compensation for departure costs incurred. The above cancellation terms are less any unrecoverable costs by accommodation providers, travel agents, third-party affiliates and supplier fees.
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade - 116 Esplanade Darwin
- Frontier Hotel Darwin - 3 Buffalo Ct Darwin City
- H on Mitchell Hotel Apartment - 105 Mitchell St Darwin City
- H on Smith Hotel - 81 Smith St Darwin City
- Mantra on the Esplanade - 88 The Esplanade Darwin City
- The Cavenagh Hotel - 12 Cavenagh St Darwin City
- Tourist Precinct Mini Bus Zone - 69 Mitchell St Darwin City
- Travelodge Resort Darwin - 64 Cavenagh St Darwin City
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation