- All transport along the route, including trains from Cairns to Gympie and Loka bus from Gympie / Rainbow Beach to Sydney, return ferry to Magnetic Island and local transfers.
- Guidance from fun, local guide and Loka web app
- Forts Walk, Magnetic Island
- Bluff Point walk, Emu Park
- Carlo Sand Blow Walk, Rainbow Beach,
- Danger Point Border Crossing walk
- Byron Bay orientation drive
- Opportunity to hop on and hop off where you like
What to Expect
Travel Day: Cairns - Magnetic Island
MEETING: At YHA Cairns, Gilligans or Cairns train station (please confirm prior to departure).
We take the train and travel south to Townsville, where we will arrive around mid-afternoon. Then a ferry will take us to tropical ‘Maggie Island’. There is plenty of things to explore on the island, consisting of nearly 50% of National Park with stunning beaches and abundant wildlife.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Magnetic Island accommodation, bookable via Stray Mate app
Travel Day: Magnetic Island - Airlie Beach
MEETING: At YHA Bungalow Bay reception or at the ferry terminal (please confirm).
A guide will accompany you in the morning on the Forts walk. Alternatively, you can do some exploring, check out the local wildlife park or just chill by the pool. In the afternoon the ferry will take us back to the mainland. Then we will jump on the train to Proserpine, where a transfer will bring us to Airlie Beach. We plan to arrive at Airlie Beach at approximately 7 pm. Note: Depending on which day you leave, you may have an extra free day to spend on Magnetic Island.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Airlie accommodation. Check out the Loka web app for our latest deals on accomodations.
Free Day in Airlie Beach
We have an entire day in Airlie Beach. Join in on activities or just relax. You can decide to go on exciting 1-3 day sailing adventure options around the Whitsunday Islands.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Airlie accommodation.
Travel Days: Airlie Beach – Emu Park (Special Stop)
MEETING: Outside Base backpackers.
Most of the day will be free for activities of your choice in Airlie. In the early evening, we get a transfer to the train and continue our journey to Rockhampton. We hop off the train and jump on a quick transfer to the little coastal town of Emu Park where we spend 2 nights.
Free Day in Emu Park
While at Emu Park we have an amazing Stray Treasure Island package, which includes a big day out on the tropical pradaise Great Keppel Island and two nights Emu's Beach Resort accommodation (extra cost); or you can choose o just pay for accommodation only and do your own thing today.
SLEEPING: Emu's Beach Resort, bookable via Stray Mate app
Travel Day: Emu Park - Rainbow Beach
MEETING: at Emus Beach reception
We start our day early in the morning with a bus transfer to the train. We travel to Cooroy then via Stray bus to Rainbow Beach. Rainbow Beach is a departure point for Fraser Island, take some time to chill on this beautiful beach. Walk up to Carlo Sand Blow with your guide and admire a stunning sunset or sunrise.
SLEEPING: Your choice of Rainbow Beach accommodation. You can use the Loka web app to get the latest deals on accommodations.
Travel Day: Rainbow Beach (via Noosa, Brisbane & Gold Coast) — Byron Bay
MEETING: across the road from Frasers on Rainbow/Dingos hostels.
We have the morning to relax or do you rchoice of activities. Then, our Loka bus passes through Noosa where you have the option to hop off, Brisbane and Gold Coast, with pick-ups and drop-offs. Then we continue towards surf town Byron Bay, where we will spend the night. Note: Depending on which day you depart you may have 1-2 full days in Byron Bay. We recommend exploring, learning to surf, doing a dolphin kayak trip or visiting the alternative town of Nimbin (additonal costs).
SLEEPING: Your choice of Byron Bay accommodation. You can use the Loka web app to get the latest deals on accommodations.
Travel Day: Byron Bay (via Spot X) - Sydney
MEETING: at the main bus stop on Jonson St or Arts Factory hostel (please confirm).
We continue our trip towards Sydney via Spot X Surf Camp. Hop off if you want to learn to surf or if you want to relax on the beach. We then travel to Sydney, where we plan to arrive in the early evening. (Drop-offs at selected Sydney central hostels)
SLEEP: Your choice of Sydney accommodation. Drop-offs outside Wake Up (by Central Station) and Nomads.
Note: Accommodation and food are not covered by the Loka pass. You can break your itinerary at any stop and on any travel day. After you can just connect with a later Loka bus or rail departure (guided or unguided). Accommodation can be pre-booked by using the Loka web app, or your guide will help you to book it. There are two options usually: a bed only option (around $32/person/night), or a twin/double option (around $100/room).
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Loka guide is there to help point in the right direction, give you information on the places we visit and cool things to do there, and above all, make your Loka trip awesome! If you’re a bit nervous about travelling and/or travelling by yourself they’ll be there to answer any questions you have and help introduce you to the other Lokees (Loka travellers).
Forget boring, old bus drivers, Loka guides come from a crazy range of backgrounds – surfers, sailors, drummers, students, but mostly they’re people who love travelling and get a buzz from showing other travellers their favourite places.
A backpack or small/medium suitcase (up to 15kg) filled with:
- Your clothes – mainly light but also at least one warm item
- Swimsuit / Towel
- Bug repellent
- Sunblock / Hat
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Waterproof jacket (shell)
- Loka passes are only valid for people issued in the booking and are non-transferrable.
- Passes are valid for up to 12 months from your date of departure. You can hop on and off anywhere at any of our overnight stops and key activity stops for the total validity of the pass. You have up to 12 months from your date of purchase to start your Loka pass.
- If you miss your confirmed departure date and/or ‘no show’ for a sector, this sector is forfeited and you must make your own way to the next destination. Please ensure you check your itinerary and contact Loka 24 hours before a confirmed departure time to cancel or change a travel date.
- Loka recommends booking your sectors 24 hours in advance, or at least by 5pm the day prior to departure to guarantee to your seat. In peak periods (e.g. Christmas, New Years, January, Easter, School Holidays) we recommend pre-booking your travel dates if you’re short on time to avoid disappointment. Please note on Christmas Day and New Years Day there will be no Loka departures leaving Sydney or Cairns. Depending on your location, your Loka departure time, arrival time and/or inclusions may be altered on these days. Please visit the Loka website for up-to-date travel information. Queensland Rail does not operate any departures on Christmas Day. Services that may have left the previous day but arrive at their destination on Christmas Day, may also be cancelled.
- Our trips are adventurous. Travellers aged 16 or 17 years old can only travel with a signed consent form from a parent or guardian (contact Loka reservations for form). Travellers aged 12-16 must travel with a parent or guardian. Loka is not suitable for children aged under 12 years old.
Please note that the bookings are processed manually and please chat to us before making the booking or you can book with us and your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
For open-dated passes or 48 hours outside a confirmed departure date the cancellation fee is 35% of the price paid for the pass. Within 48 hours the fee is 50%, once you have commenced travel it is non-refundable.
Reviews for Cairns to Sydney Hop-On Hop-Off - Trev Freestyle Pass
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.