- 2 - 2.5 hours of whitewater rafting on the Tongariro
- Raft over 50 exhilarating rapids
- Optional cliff jump
- Hot Chocolate and snacks
- Hot Dog and Beer
- Photos for you to take home and share with your friends
- All rafting equipment included
- Full safety briefing
Tongariro White Water RaftingGet ready for Grade 3 White Water Rafting on over 50 rapids in the Tongariro National Park!
Why do we love this
"We think Rafting New Zealand are pretty cool because they are officially New Zealand's most awarded rafting company - so you know you're in good hands!"
What to Expect
Voted New Zealand's best half day rafting adventure, the Tongariro Whitewater rafting experience is a hugely popular trip that can't be missed! You will get to raft over 50 exciting rapids through stunning volcanic gorges and waterfalls, as well as participate in an optional cliff jump.
You'll enjoy hot chocolate and snacks still on the river, and once on dry land, refuel with a complimentary hot Kai meal while viewing the awesome pictures from your trip!
You are provided with all the necessary on river apparel - all you need to bring is your swimsuit and towel. Allow 4 hours in total with 2 - 2.5 hours spent on the river.
Frequently Asked Questions
For rivers grade 2 & 3 you do not need to be able to swim. For rivers grade 4 & 5 you need to be water confident. For example if you fell out of the boat you need to be physically able to swim.
No you don’t. Everyone can enjoy rafting on either river with no rafting experience. You will be given training and a full safety briefing before the trip starts. All of our qualified and certified guides will be able to give you any extra personal instruction you may need while in the raft.
You will need a swimsuit and a towel. There are hot showers after the trip. Anything valuable should be left behind at your accommodation or there are secure lockers at our base.
Yes we recommend that you do, especially during the peak seasons because space can be limited. This is also true for mid winter and school holidays.
We can transport you from any location in the Taupo township.
Complimentary transport is limited and is only provided for the 12 midday Winter trip and 2pm Summer trip.
We can also pick you up from accommodation in Whakapapa Village, National Park and Ohakune Villages. There is a transportation fee and spaces are limited. Please call us for more information.
Generally no. We recommend you only wear swim wear as the wetsuits work best when they are close to your skin. Any clothing such as cotton t-shirts or jeans under the wetsuit prevent it from working effectively and will actually make you colder. The only exception to this is if you have specific merino wool or polyester thermal underwear, however we find that most people are warm enough with the wetsuit and additional layers that we provide given the specific conditions on the day.
We provide wetsuit booties for when you are on the river, so you can wear your normal shoes to the rafting base.
Yes you can, although we recommend that cameras are left behind at the hotel as we cannot guarantee their safety against damage even if waterproof. However if you would still like to take a camera on the rafting trip, we recommend the cheap disposable waterproof cameras which we also have for sale.
For safety reasons Go-Pro or similar cameras are allowed if on a wrist or chest harness mount.
Note: we do not allow head mounts as they have caused injuries to other passengers in the past.
Yes there are. There will be a professional photographer with you at the start of the trip and again at the last rapid taking photos. You will be able to view and purchase the photos at the end of the trip when you are returned to the shop.
We also provide a video service were you can purchase interactive HD footage from your adventure.
Enquire when booking if you are interested in purchasing footage from your trip.
Some medical conditions may prohibit you from whitewater rafting but most will not. It’s very important however that if you do have a medical condition that you let our staff know prior to rafting, this is not to stop you from rafting but to inform your personal guide so that they can help in the unlikely event that something does go wrong. If you require medication for your condition (eg. asthma inhalers), you will need to bring that with you in case it is needed.
There is no maximum age or weight limit for rafting however the person must be able to fit our gear and safety equipment. We do have a number of extra large wetsuits but ask that you are physically fit and able to swim.
Ultimately it will be at the discretion of the trip leader and guides as to who is appropriate to participate in the rafting trip.
- Any booked participant under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be excluded from rafting without a credit refund. Rafting New Zealand cannot be held responsible if our instructions are not followed.
- For other operators booked through this website we are a booking agent for and on behalf of other tourist operators and shall not be liable to any person for loss, damage or injury suffered in connection with this booking.
- Please check we have a way of contacting you. We need an email address or a contact phone number so we can contact you if there are any changes to the trip due to poor weather conditions.
For full terms & conditions please visit: www.raftingnewzealand.co.nz/terms-and-conditions
- A minimum of 24 hours notice of any cancellation is required to avoid any cancellation fees being charged.
- Cancellations with less than 12 hours but more than 6 hours notice will be charged a 50% cancellation charge.
- Cancellations within 6 hours of departure or no shows will be charged 100% cancellation fee.
- Ten (10) working days notice is required if the entire group is cancelling to avoid cancellation charges.
- Trips cancelled by Rafting New Zealand for any reason (insufficient numbers, flooding, etc) will be refunded in full if an alternative trip / date is not suitable.
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely