- Three mud baths for couples and families
- Mineral waterfall and cool plunge pool
- One large freeform sulphur spa and two smaller spas
- Changing rooms, shower facilities and disabled facilities
- Pick-up and drop-off available
- Swimwear and Towels available to hire on-site for $5 per item (subject to availability)
Why do we love this
Taking a dip in the sulphur springs is a must-do in Rotorua. Their properties are great for relaxation and rejuvenation.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Hells Gate Geothermal Park & Mud Spa is one of New Zealand’s most famous spa experiences. This geothermal area features unique thermal muds and acidic sulphurous waters relied on by the local Maori people for over 800 years. These spas offer relaxation, healing, and wellbeing for the mind and body.
Spa visitors will start out with a soak in the warm, sulphurous waters. It's encouraged to liberally smooth the natural geothermic mud over your skin for 20 minutes to fully benefit from its healing and skin-clearing properties. After your mud bath, rinse off and restore blood circulation with a cool shower. Then, relax in the hot sulphur mineral spas, which give your skin a gentle exfoliation and deep cleansing, leaving it clean, soft and smooth to touch.
Escape into another world of geothermal wonder, overlooking New Zealand’s amazing scenery from the comfort of a sulphur pool surrounded by native flora. Then, cool off under the mineral-enriched waterfall cascading into the plunge pool to complete your spa experience.
A complementary drop of service is also available from within the Rotorua area. Please advise when booking if you require this. The shuttle route runs daily:
Summertime (1st October to 31st March)
- Beginning at Tyron St at: 8:50am, 12:50pm, 4:50pm and 6:50pm.
- Leaving Hells Gate at:12.30pm, 4:30pm, 7.30pm and 9:00pm.
Wintertime (1st April to 30th September)
- Beginning at Tyron St at: 8:50am, 12:50pm and 3:50pm.
- Leaving Hells Gate at: 12.30pm, 3:30pm and 6:30pm.
Summer opening hours:
- Geothermal Park open from 8:30am - 6:30pm (last entrance 5:30pm)
- Mud Bath Spa open from 8:30am - 10:00pm (last entrance 8:00pm)
Winter opening hours:
- Geothermal Park open from 8:30am - 5:30pm (last entrance 4:00pm)
- Mud Bath Spa open from 8:30am - 8:30pm (last entrance 7:00pm)