- Get up to $20 cash back per person when you book with us
- A full-day small-group tour to Milford Sound & Fiordland National Park
- Milford Sound cruise, taking in sights such as Mitre Peak, Hanging Gardens, Fairy & Stirling Falls, & seal colonies
- See other Southland highlights including Lake Te Anau, Eglinton Valley, Mirror Lakes, Hollyford River, & the Homer Tunnel
- A delicious picnic lunch, plus bottled water & snacks
- Services of a friendly local guide & transport onboard a comfortable air-conditioned minivan
- Convenient return transfers from selected Queenstown accommodation
What to Expect
One of the most spectacular highlights of New Zealand's South Island is the impressive Milford Sound, located deep in the heart of Fiordland National Park. Plus, it's easily accessible with a day trip from Queenstown.
This small group, fully-guided day tour combines the fantastic return journey to Milford Sound with a boutique Milford Sound Cruise aboard Cruise Milford. It's led by passionate tour guides famous for bringing your journey to life by sharing their stories and rich background knowledge.
Journey to Milford Sound
Your journey starts with convenient pick-ups from selected Queenstown accommodation. Then, as you drive out of the city, you'll wind your way around Lake Wakatipu, with amazing views of The Remarkables Mountain Range and the lake. Continuing around, you will pass through Devil's Staircase, famous for dramatic photos.
After more amazing mountain, river and farmland views, you'll arrive in Te Anau, home to Lake Te Anau, New Zealand's second-largest lake. While in this idyllic town, you'll stop for a break and maybe meet some of the local animals or wildlife. Then, continuing along, stop at Te Anau Downs, the starting point for the Milford Track, to hear the stories and admire the views.
Next, you'll enter Fiordland National Park and stop in Eglinton Valley. With views worthy of Lord of the Rings, this valley follows the path of an ancient glacier through Fiordland. As one of the first major attractions as you enter the park, it really sets the scene for a journey that gets more impressive the deeper you go.
The following two stops are some of Southland's most beautiful lakes. The first is Mirror Lakes, where you can take a short stroll to see the famous reflections of the Earl Mountains. On the right day, if you take a good picture, no one can tell which way is the right way up for the photo! The second is Lake Gunn, where you'll stop for some pictures and to enjoy the peace.
Driving on, pass the Hollyford River, a gorgeous and mighty river full of large boulders and rapids. Feeding into the river at Falls Creek, it's one of the area's impressive waterfalls and the first of many to come.
Climbing in altitude, you go deeper into the Darran Mountains, and these views require another stop to admire and take photos. You're also entering the area where Kea (the world's largest alpine parrot) likes to live. Keep an eye out for these large, cheeky, colourful birds that never fail to thrill and entertain when found.
To make your way down towards the sea, you'll enter the mind-blowing, hand-built Homer Tunnel, hearing the incredible history and stories. Emerging from the tunnel, the valley descends sharply towards Milford Sound, and on a rainy day, you will see hundreds of waterfalls cascading down the mountainside.
Following the valleys to the sea, arrive at Milford Sound, where you will board your 1 hr 45 min cruise with Cruise Milford. The Cruise Milford experience offers a boutique cruise on a smaller, less crowded boat and a crew that provides a much more informative and personal tour of Milford Sound.
The smaller boat means you get closer to the wildlife and nature, including the New Zealand fur seals basking on the rocks, massive rock faces rising for hundreds of metres out of the sea, and the waterfalls cascading from ancient rainforest high in the mountains. This cruise is unbeatable.
While on the boat cruise, you will be able to marvel at the awe-inspiring Mitre Peak, the iconic Milford Sound mountain, with its steep triangular peak rising high up above the reflective waters of the Milford Sound.
After your cruise, do not fear as the adventure is far from over – there is the return journey with many more amazing stops. One of the stops during this journey (weather and timing-dependent) is The Chasm. It's a spectacular bush walk with dramatic views of powerful waterfalls and water sculpted shapes in the rocks.
Next, you'll pull over at Pop's View Lookout to admire the elevated amazing views of the divide in the Southern Alps, close to the start of the Routeburn Track. While here, the guide will tell you the stories of ancient Maori explorers.
With a few more secret stops along the way, you'll eventually arrive back in Queenstown to be dropped off back at your pick-up location.
Where we Visit:
- Lake Wakatipu
- Devil's Staircase
- Lake Te Anau
- Eglington Valley
- Mirror Lakes
- Lake Gunn
- Hollyford River & Falls Creek
- Darran Mountains
- Homer Tunnel
- Milford Sound
- Mitre Peak
- The Chasm
- Pop's View Lookout
- Children aged 14 or under cannot travel without an accompanying adult aged 18 or over
- The Operator reserves the right to alter fares, arrange alternative transport, tour routes, services or accommodation. In the event that The Operator is unable to operate the tour – an alternative operator will be provided. If an alternative is not available, then a full refund will be issued
- A minimum number of passengers is required for the tour to operate
- All tours have inherent risks involved and can be dangerous. By booking a tour with The Operator, you agree that you understand and accept the risks of the tour and agree to participate
- A minimum cancellation fee of $20 applies to all online bookings at the discretion of the supplier
- 7 days or more prior to travel – overnight tours will incur a cancellation fee at the discretion of the supplier
- (day tours/ trips) – 7 days – 48 hours prior to travel – 25% of the total fare at the discretion of the supplier
- (over night or package tours) – 7 days – 48 hours prior to travel – 50% of the total fare at the discretion of the supplier
- Within 24 hours prior to travel – 100% cancellation fee
- An amendment fee of NZ$20 per booking will be charged for any bookings changed 7 days prior to travel. Within 7 days fees will be charged in accordance with the policies of other suppliers
- Airport/ Frankton area pick up
- Airport/ Frankton area pick up
- Aspen Lodge
- Base Backpackers Queenstown
- Butterfli Lodge
- Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview
- Copthorne Hotel and Resort Queenstown Lakefront
- Crowne Plaza Queenstown
- Heartland Hotel Queenstown
- Heritage Queenstown
- Heritage Queenstown
- Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
- Holiday Inn Queenstown Frankton Road
- Hotel St Moritz Queenstown
- Jucy Snooze Queenstown
- Kamana Lakehouse
- Mercure Queenstown Resort
- Millennium Hotel Queenstown
- Nomads Queenstown Hostel
- Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
- Oaks Shores
- QT Queenstown
- Queenstown Central - The Station Information Centre
- Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel
- Ramada Queenstown Central
- Rydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown
- Scenic Hotel Queenstown
- Scenic Suites Queenstown
- Sherwood Lodge
- Sherwood Queenstown
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel and Spa
- Swiss- Belsuites Pounamu , Queenstown
- Tahuna Pod Hostel
- Te Anau Central
- Te Anau Central
- The Flaming Kiwi Backpackers
- The Rees Hotel, Luxury Apartments & Lakeside Residences
- Wyndham Garden Queenstown
- YHA Queenstown Central Backpackers
Reviews for Premium Milford Sound Small-Group Tour, Cruise & Picnic Lunch from Queenstown
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation