- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- 3 hr sunset kayak tour upon the reflective waters of Lake Mapourika, with access to the Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary
- Use of all equipment including dry bags, wet weather gear, sunscreen & insect repellant for a safe & comfortable journey
- Friendly & knowledgeable guide who'll provide fascinating insights into this beautiful region
- Convenient return transfers from Franz Josef, if required
Where we Visit:
- Lake Mapourika
- Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary
What to Expect
End a brilliant day in Glacier Country on the perfect note with a sunset kayak tour on Lake Mapourika. Available during the summer months, this chilled-out and relaxing paddle is the ideal way to decompress and immerse yourself in nature at the end of a long day of exploring.
The lake sits to the north of the township and is the largest in Westland Tai Poutini National Park. It's a kettle lake formed by the retreating glacier, which left behind a massive block of ice 14,000 years ago. Now, it's home to an abundance of birdlife, including the rare crested grebe, mallard duck, and black swans.
Enjoy 3 hours of gentle exercise and an unbeatable panoramic view of the surrounding mountains and glaciers, all set against the backdrop of the changing colours of sunset.
See untouched Jurassic rainforest reflected on the glassy waters and enjoy the sound of native birdsong. You'll also cruise along a narrow estuary amidst the lush ancient rainforest of the Okarito Kiwi Sanctuary. It's home to New Zealand's rarest Kiwi, the rowi, with an estimated population of fewer than 500 birds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Like true west coasters – we get out there rain or shine! Rain is the main ingredient in our beautiful temperate rainforest. Lake Mapourika often remains dry while it is raining in town due to being a greater distance from the Southern Alps. We provide full wet weather gear (jackets and pants) to keep you warm and dry.
Bring a snack, a water bottle, camera (if you want your own photos as well as our FREE photos), sunglasses and sunscreen. We recommend no denim, just comfortable pants and footwear.
If they fit our life jackets, they can come along! The youngest explorer we’ve had to date was 1 year old. We always recommend the morning trip times when booking with young children as this is the calmest time of day for paddling. Infants (under 3 years) must join one of our Kayak Discovery Tours.
Yes, this is fine and very common. We will fit you with a PFD suitable for your size. Our guides are trained and qualified in all aspects of paddling instruction and your safety on the water. Our company is Safety Audited through Outdoorsmark NZ. It’s extremely unlikely that you might end up in the water.
- Tours require minimum numbers to operate
- The Operator reserves the right to cancel tours if minimum numbers are not met or in the event of adverse weather conditions
- The Operator assumes no responsibility for injuries, delays caused by breakdowns, accidents, adverse weather conditions and other conditions beyond their control
- The Operator is not responsible for any loss or damage to property
- Cancellations/date changes must be made a full 24 hours prior to the trip time
- Cancellations made within the 24 hour time frame cannot be refunded
Reviews for Franz Josef Sunset Classic Kayak
Book your experience stress-free and know we're here to help.
Get Instant Confirmation