- Get up to $40 cash back per person when you book with us
- Scenic flight to Franz Josef Glacier
- Glacier landing and 2-hour glacier hike
- Experienced guide
- All equipment (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, waterproof jacket and pants)
Franz Josef Heli Hike
Enjoy a scenic helicopter flight up to the stunning Franz Josef glacier and explore the glacial terrain on a professionally guided hike!
Buy as a Gift
Why do we love this
We love that you get to wander the glacier for two hours on this tour. You even get to touch the ice as you explore!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Fly over stunning Franz Josef Glacier before making a landing on the ice! Explore glacial terrain on a 2-hour professionally guided hike and be wowed by ice formations and pinnacles. This is the best way to soak in all the epic views the area has to offer.
Departing from the Franz Josef Village base, start your day with a helicopter ride up to the glacier. You'll see all the peaks and cliffs only experienced mountaineers can reach, all from a birds eye views! It's a wilderness experience you’ll never forget.
Zoom over the stunning landscape before landing on a section of this 12km long glacier. Your guides will have made a daily safety assessment of the conditions on this fast-moving ice flow, so you'll be exploring the safest area possible.
Equipped with glacier boots and crampons you’ll walk for two hours amongst the ice formations and pinnacles. You'll get to see the extraordinary colours of the ice-flow and you'll even be able to touch the ice!
Allow 3 hours for this experience. All equipment is provided. Please check-in 1 hour before your flight time.
Flights are not confirmed until the Glacier Helicopter Base has confirmed they have availability and weather conditions are suitable.
Franz Josef Heli Hike
|11:00AM - 12:00PM|
Monday, 29-04-2016 11:00 AM - 12:00PM
How many participants are there?
Child (8-14 yrs):
What should I bring?
Warm upper-body clothing (preferably 3-4 layers).
Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable. Please no jeans.
Sunglasses and sunscreen.
Waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one).
What is the elevation of the glacier?
The Franz Josef Glacier extends from 250 m above sea level to 3000m above sea level but the hike will take place at only 700m above sea level so there is no need to take altitude sickness pills.
- Confirmation will be received within 48-hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Flights, landings and routes may vary due to weather and at the pilot’s discretion. Flight times are approximate and include your landing.
- Minimum passenger numbers apply for flights. Bookings will be coordinated to achieve this where possible.
- The price includes landing and concession fees as our flights land in conservation areas and special locations.
- Moderate fitness is required and a min age of 8 years and 30kg applies.
- Due to morning ice conditions, Children are not permitted on the 11am Heli Hike from 1st May to 30th September.
- Clients who are over 115kg and/or pregnant will not be able to participate.
Please note that the bookings are processed manually. Please chat to us before making the booking OR you can book with us but please note your booking is confirmed only once confirmed by the tour operator.
- Your flight is subject to favourable weather conditions; if cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or a full refund.
- We recommend booking your flights early in your trip with flexibility for weather changes.