- Drive along New Zealand's famous Ninety Mile Beach
- Tea break at Doubtless Bay
- Guided tour of Cape Reinga
- Opportunity to dig for shellfish (conditions permitting)
- Sandboarding at Te Paki Stream
- Walk through the Puketi Kauri Forest and Ancient Kauri Kingdom
- Chance to try fish and chips at Mangonui
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off
Cape Reinga and Ninety Mile Beach Tour
Journey to the top of New Zealand's North Island on this full-day tour
- All food and drink (at participants' own expense)
WHAT TO EXPECT
A trip to New Zealand's North Island is about much more than just the cities. While Auckland and Wellington have their time and place, a visit to Cape Reinga (Te Rerenga Wairua) on the far northern tip of the island is the ideal way to get to know the richness of the area. On this full-day tour, you will get to do exactly that! Discover the native forests and rugged coastlines of Northland, New Zealand and explore Maori culture and tradition at the hand of your knowledgable local guide.
This guided tour departs from Paihia at 7 am. Once you are picked up in a custom-built coach, you will drive along the sandy shores of the famous Ninety Mile Beach. As you drive, look out for wild horses that call the top of NZ home as you learn all about the area's history from your knowledgable guide. Take a pit-stop at Doubtless Bay for a morning snack before continuing on to Cape Reinga (at the very tip of Aotearoa).
Once there, take the opportunity to sink your toes into the soft white sand or help your guide dig for shellfish (conditions permitting). Enjoy panoramic views of the Tasman Sea and mighty Pacific Ocean, visit the cape's iconic lighthouse and learn why the area plays such an important role in Maori culture.
This tour also includes an opportunity to try your hand at sandboarding at Te Paki Stream, home to the area's large sand dunes. This thrilling activity is sure to provide the jolt of energy you need to power you through the rest of the day. The final highlight of the tour is a visit to Puketi Kauri Forest for a nature walk. Get up close and personal with giant kauri trees and other native foliage as you're guided through the dense forest.
After a long day, finish off with a delicious early dinner of local fish and chips in Mangonui before heading back to Paihia. On return, you will be dropped off at your start location around 6:15 pm.
What should I bring?
You will need a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, a change of clothes for sand surfing and your camera.
Can you cater for vegetarians?
Lunch and snacks will be available for purchase along the way. That said, as the supplier cannot ensure that there will be adequate options at each food establishment, it's advised you bring your own backup snacks or packed lunch.
- All bookings not made locally should be reconfirmed either the day before departure or 24 hours prior to departure.
- The supplier reserves the right to cancel departures, arrange alternative transport, itineraries and services when necessary. Departures and itineraries are subject to sea and weather conditions.
- Cancellations must be received by the supplier no later than 6 pm on the day prior to the tour departure. Passengers who have not cancelled will be considered 'no shows' and no refunds are available.
Read full supplier's terms & conditions