- Play and explore in the snow of the Japanese mountains
- Visit the ski resorts of Shiga Kogen
- See the snow monkeys in their wintry habitat
- Have fun sledging, snow-scooting, snow-biking, or riding a ski lift up to the mountain top
- Have lunch near the Snow Monkey Park (vegetarian options available)
Snow Monkeys & Snow Fun In Shiga Kogen, 1 Day Tour
See the Japanese macaques bathing in hot springs, frolicking around the park, and cuddling each other to stay warm.
Bullet train ticket.
Why do we love this
A snowy adventure complete with sledging, skiing and cute snow monkeys - what's not to love!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Experience the Japanese winter as you sledge or snow bike and get to know some adorable snow monkeys!
Your snow adventure starts at Nagano Station at 8:45 am. From there, head to Jigokudani Monkey Park to visit the Japanese macaques bathing in hot springs, frolicking around the park, and cuddling each other to stay warm. Your guide will teach you about the park and the monkeys while you wander around.
Next, it's time for lunch - a delicious Japanese feast to prepare you for the snow stage of the tour. You'll make your way to the sky resort of Shiga Kogen which is the biggest ski area in Japan! The setting for the 1998 Winter Olympics, this mountainous area is full of incredible slopes and stunning scenery. You'll be able to explore the 'snow activity slope' and have a go at playing with snow sledges, snow-scooters, snow-bikes, and more. Even if you have no experience skiing or snowboarding you'll find plenty to do!
Afterwards, it's time to take a ski lift ride up one of the highest mountains of Shiga Kogen where you can enjoy the breathtaking views of the entire northern Nagano area. Snap some photos, then head back down the mountain in time to return to Nagano.
This tour is a full day trip, starting at 8:45 am and finishing back at Nagano Station at 6:30pm
What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables on the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 06:28 – Nagano: 08:06 – Hakutaka
Tokyo: 06:52 – Nagano: 08:40 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 19:03 – Tokyo: 20:23 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 19:08 – Tokyo: 20:52 – Asama
Nagano: 19:38 – Tokyo: 21:16 – Hakutaka
I am staying in (Yudanaka/Shibu) can I join the tour?
It is certainly possible to take this tour when staying in the Yudanaka or Shibu area!
You can meet with your guide at Yudanaka Station.
Please let us know at the time of booking if you want to take this option.
- The temperature of winter months in Shiga Kogen is cold and can be minus 5 – 10 degree. Please be dressed in warm, waterproof clothing and boots for snow activities. There are rentals for snow outfits (snow jackets, pants, gloves, snow boots) available for ¥500 each.
- Confirmation of your reservation will be sent to your email address within 48 hours after booking.
- Children from 3 years old and up can join this tour. Rentals for small sizes are available as well.
- Infants (3-5) are free of charge. (No tour meal is included. Please order foods directly to the restaurant.)
No. of days before Tour start date
Cancellation fee as a % of Tour price
11 days before
10 - 8 days before
20% of the price
7 - 2 days before
30% of the price
1 day before
40% of the price
Day of the tour
50% of the price
After tour has started/No Show
100% of the price