- See the famous Japanese snow monkeys up close
- Explore Shibu Onsen historical village and Shiga Kogen ski resort
- Indulge in onsen (hot springs) at Shibu Onsen
- Take a ski lift to the mountain top and enjoy incredible views
- Try some popular Japanese dishes for lunch (vegetarian options available)
- English-speaking guide
- Transportation fee from Nagano to the Snow Monkey Park and between activities/attractions included
- Snow Monkey Park entrance fee and ski lift ride included
Snow Monkey, Shiga Kogen Nature, And Shibu Village 1 Day Tour
See the famous Japanese Macaques and take a ski lift up to one of the highest mountains of Shiga Kogen on this guided day tour.
Bullet train tickets.
Why do we love this
Historical villages, indulgent hot springs and cute snow monkeys - what more could you want? This tour is full of beautiful Japanese greenery, springs and slopes, and is a great way to see some of the most impressive nature and mountain views in Japan!
WHAT TO EXPECT
See snow monkeys in Yudanaka, hot springs in Shibu Onsen and gorgeous mountain scenery at Shiga Kogen! Get ready to explore spectacular Japan!
Your day starts at 8:45 am. Meet your guide at Nagano station and from there it's time to head to Jigokudani Monkey Park! There you'll be able to watch these furry creatures frolic and play in the water. Japanese Macaques are famous for their habit of bathing in the hot springs during the winter and your guide will be able to tell you all about these interesting animals.
After watching the monkeys for a while, it's time to head to a nearby restaurant for a Japanese feast.
After lunch, you'll head to Shiga Kogen, the biggest and one of the most famous ski resorts in Japan! The 1998 Winter Olympics were held here and there are thousands of stunning ski slopes and mountain ranges. You'll be able to experience all the incredible scenery from new heights with a ski lift ride up one of the highest mountains in the area. At the top, you'll be treated to 360-degree panoramic views of the entire mountain surrounds! Depending on the time of year you visit, you'll also be able to see different types of flowers at the peak.
After your mountain experience, it's time to head to Shibu Onsen, a village with a 1300 year history. Wend your way through the narrow streets and explore the many souvenir and local delicacy shops. There's also 9 public onsen to be found! Your guide will also take you past some of the main attractions like temples, shrines, and more, on your way back to Yudanaka Station. From there, you'll catch the train back to Nagano Station.
This tour is a full day trip, starting at 8:45 am and finishing at 5:30 pm.
What time does the bullet train depart back to Tokyo after the tour?
The start and finish of the tour are arranged according to the bullet train (called Hokuriku Shinkansen) timetable. See below for specific timetables on the bullet train departure and arrival times to/from Nagano Station.
Departing Tokyo Station – Arriving Nagano Station:
Tokyo: 06:28 – Nagano: 08:06 – Hakutaka
Tokyo: 06:52 – Nagano: 08:40 – Asama
Tokyo: 07:20 – Nagano: 08:43 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Departing Nagano Station – Arriving Tokyo Station:
Nagano: 17:34 – Tokyo: 19:12 – Hakutaka
Nagano: 17:55 – Tokyo: 19:20 – Kagayaki (reserved seats only)
Nagano: 18:22 – Tokyo: 20:00 – Hakutaka
I am staying in (Yudanaka/Shibu/Shiga-kogen) can I join the tour?
There definitely is a possibility, depending on the situation, to take this tour when staying in the Yudanaka or Shibu area! This also goes for those staying at the Shiga-kogen area, but only during the winter months. Please note that the meeting point will be Yudanaka Station for the former two and for the latter it will be Hasuike bus terminal. The time of meeting will change as well as the time of return. Please make sure to let us know at the time of booking as to where you are staying so we can inform you.
- Please wear suitable shoes for the walking trail.
- If nature walk is not an option due to the weather condition, we will offer you an alternative activity.
- Due to the warmth, the monkeys might not enter the hot spring. They might play or eat in the water but there is no guarantee that there will be monkeys in the bath.
- There are a few days in the year that the monkeys might not come down to the park. In such case, the park is closed and we will provide an alternative activity.
- Confirmation email of your reservation will be sent to you within 48 hours after booking.
- Infants (0-5) are free of charge. A infant lunch is not included and the order will be made directly to the restaurant according to your needs.
No. of days before Tour start date
Cancellation fee as a % of Tour price
11 days before
10 - 8 days before
20% of the price
7 - 2 days before
30% of the price
1 day before
40% of the price
Day of the tour
50% of the price
After tour has started/No Show
100% of the price
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews