- Get up to $10 cash back per person when you book with us!
- Experience San Jose by night with a local to guide the way
- Explore significant city buildings and local neighborhoods
- Immerse yourself in the culture and history of the city
- Indulge in a tasty local menu filled with authentic local ingredients
- Sip expertly selected wine or beer pairings as you dine
San Jose By Night: Food And Culture TourCulture and history, a tasty local dinner, and the chance to experience San Jose’s nightlife with a local!
- Transportation to and from the meeting point and end point
- Additional food and drink beyond what is specified above
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
What to Expect
Delicious Costa Rican food and drink. Need to say more? Alright, well, there’s also a ton of culture and history, a tasty local dinner, and the chance to experience San Jose’s nightlife with a local. On this tour, you'll get to explore San Jose by night, complete with cultural icons, and a tasty dinner with beverage pairings – that’s your evening sorted!
Experience the nightlife in San Jose starting with Morazán Park where we will learn post-colonial Costa Rican history. This park is one of the most important urban spaces of this Central American capital, as it is used for many cultural events and activities. From there, your appreciation for San Jose’s historical architecture continues, with a walk by the Metallic Building, then on to Spain Park for a fantastic view of the Yellow House (now the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
The tour will continue to charming Barrio Escalante, one of the oldest residential areas in San Jose. The "barrio" as locals call it, was first a coffee farm but by the 1950s became the favorite neighborhood for the economic and political elites of the time. Nowadays, Barrio Escalante has reinvented itself and is now home to many up-and-coming restaurants and at night is a favorite meeting spot for locals and visitors alike.
The evening will end with a contemporary traditional meal at a hip local restaurant that is popular with locals and offers a sampler of traditional Costa Rican pub fare. Between your tasty three-course meal, and wine or beer that goes down a treat, you’ll be ending the evening feeling every bit the San Jose local. Your guide will be happy to provide suggestions on where to head next, but if not, they can assist you with getting a taxi back to your accommodation.
Meeting point: El Social Bar in downtown San Jose by the Morazán Park.
Frequently Asked Questions
Departs at 4:00pm from El Social Bar in downtown San Jose by the Morazán Park.
Comfortable walking shoes and outfit.
Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour.
Most tours will go ahead in all weather conditions. However, if tours are canceled under extreme circumstances, your guide will contact you to move your tour to another day.
Inclusions: Local English speaking guide, special dinner, and beverage (wine or beer or non-alcoholic drink).
Exclusions: Transportation to and from the meeting point and end point is not included. Also not included are additional food and drink beyond what is specified above, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your guide.
Dress standard: Casual clothing is appropriate for this tour.
Your Trip: You will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Child Policy: Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
Exclusions — Prices do not include:
- Tips and gratuities — If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides and drivers, a tip — though not compulsory — is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many the tour's destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on your tour.
- Items of a personal nature — These may include snacks, meals, and drinks not outlined as an inclusion in the inclusions section of the tour description.
- Baggage and personal insurance — It is highly recommended that each traveller obtain adequate insurance for their travels, including for the Urban Adventure(s) they have booked.
- Local taxes and fees — Unless otherwise stated, the price does not include any local taxes or fees, including foreign departure, security, port charges, park fees, customs, immigration, agricultural, passenger facility charges, or international transportation tax.
Travellers must adhere to the start time set out in the product information on their voucher. We start on time, so please allow enough time to be at the start point before your official start time on your voucher. If you know you are going to be late, please contact us on the phone number on your voucher and we'll do our best to help you catch up. If a traveller hasn't arrived on time and without any contact, the tour will consider the traveller to be a "no show" and the tour will start without them and no refund will be provided. The following start point(s) are outlined in the tour information and on the confirmation voucher:
- Pick-up — If a pick-up is included in the tour, the times the service will be provided are listed in the product information and on the voucher (for example, 8.30 to 9.00am). The traveller should wait in the lobby of their pick-up point during the designated pick-up times.
- Meeting point — If a meeting point is set for the tour, one time will be set as the start time (for example, 8.30am). The traveller should be waiting at the designated start point at the designated start time. It is recommended that you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the tour.
Cancellations by the traveller: Cancellation fees – Cancellation fees may apply to any cancellations by the traveller of a service provided by The Operator. Unless otherwise specified, the cancellation policy is as follows: Cancellations for set tours and made more than 48 hours prior to travel receive a full refund; Cancellations for set tours made 48 hours or less prior to travel require the traveller to pay for the tour in full, and no refund will be issued. Cancellations for custom itineraries ("Create Your Own") are as follows:
- 60+ days to departure – Full refund
- 59 - 31 days to departure – 50% cancellation fee
- 30 days and under to departure – 100% cancellation fee
Cancellations by The Operator: They may cancel a tour at any time prior to departure if, due to terrorism, natural disasters, political instability, or other external events it is not viable for us to operate the planned itinerary. If we cancel your tour, you can transfer amounts paid to an alternate departure date or, alternatively, receive a full refund. In circumstances where the cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control, refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses you may have incurred as a result of your booking, including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, or non-refundable flights.
In the case of customers travelling on a Multi-City Explorer Pass, if a tour is cancelled by The Operator, the traveller will receive a refund for the cost of that trip only, and only if the total value of tours booked with the pass at the end of the 30-day period is less than the total price paid for the pass. If a tour is cancelled by The Operator and the value of the bookings with the pass are equal to or greater than the value of the pass, the traveller will receive a 25% discount on a future single tour booking.
- <p><span>El Social Bar in downtown San Jose by the Morazán Park</span></p>
Reviews for San Jose By Night: Food And Culture Tour
Why book with us?
- Best Price Guarantee
- Free & Easy Cancellation
- Up to 10% Cashback
- 100,000 5 Star Reviews
- Book Securely