- Entrance into Rotorua’s most active geothermal park
- New Zealand's largest active mud volcano!
- Largest hot water falls in the Southern Hemisphere!
- Steaming fumaroles
- Hot water lakes
- Interactive experiences: Hells Gate Mud Foot Pool, Maori carving at Interactive Carving House and more!
WHAT TO EXPECT
The Hells Gate/Tikitere geothermal field is considered to be the most active in New Zealand and was aptly named in the 1900’s by Irish playwright, George Bernard Shaw who saw the thermal areal as his gateway to Hell.
The Hells Gate Geothermal Park features boiling hot pools and erupting waters with temperatures in excess of 100 degrees celsius! As well as steaming fumaroles, hot water lakes, sulphur crystals and deposits, New Zealand's largest active mud volcano, Southern Hemisphere's largest hot water falls and even examples of land coral.
Explore the interactive opportunities with a guided tour of the geothermal park and get hands on with the geothermal mud or get your feet dirty in the Hells Gate Mud Foot Pool. Try your hand at Maori carving at our Interactive Carving House to make your own souvenir to take home.
Recommended time: Allow one hour for self guided walk or 1.5 hours for guided tour.
- Open daily EXCEPT Christmas Day
- Summer hour from 1 October - 31 March; Winter hour from 1 April - 30 September
- Geothermal Park open from 8:30am - 5:30pm(Winter)/7:30 (Summer)
- Mud Bath Spa open from 8:30am - 10:00pm(Summer, last entrance 8:30pm)/8:30pm (Winter, last entrance 7:00pm)
- Daily Guided Tour available 9:30am and 1:30pm
- Please advise if you require a complimentary shuttle pick-up and drop-off, available from within the Rotorua area. THE SHUTTLE ROUTE RUNS DAILY:
Summer time (1st October to 31st March)
Beginning at Tyron St at: 8:50am, 12:50pm, 4:50pm and 6:50pm.
Leaving Hells Gate at:12.30pm, 4:30pm, 7.30pm and 9:30pm.
Winter time(1st April to 30th September)
Beginning at Tyron St at: 8:50am, 12:50pm and 3:50pm.
Leaving Hells Gate at: 12.30pm, 3:30pm and 6:30pm.