- 2-hour Japanese cooking class
- Guidance from an experienced chef
- Practice the art of frying tempura to a crisp
- Enjoy a set of 3 large prawns, 3 vegetables, pufferfish, and egg
- Learn the history of tempura
- Easily accessible location after visiting Mt. Fuji
WHAT TO EXPECT
In this hands-on Japanese cooking class, you can learn how to cook tempura, a traditional dish that's very popular in Japan and around the world. They say it is difficult to fry tempura to a crisp at home. But in this class, an experienced chef will teach you how to perfectly fry tempura. You will also learn how to cook rice and miso soup to accompany your meal.
The tempura set you'll be cooking will include three large prawns and three seasonal vegetables, as well as rare pufferfish and egg. Tempura is great with dipping sauce, of course, but there will also be lemon-flavoured and curry-flavoured salt for topping.
In this class, you will also learn the origins of tempura, which is believed to have come from Portugal in the 16th century. People often regard tempura as an expensive dish, but it was actually a commoners' dish served at stand-up stalls in the Edo Period (1603-1868). Learn all this and more your cooking lesson.
As an option, you can rent the same Kappogi that the chef has to wear during your class. Kappogi is a coverall apron with sleeves designed in Japan.
- Explanation of the history of tempura
- Making assorted tempura
- Eating the tempura