- Jet boat down the Waiau River, across Lake Manapouri
- Walk in the ancient forest of the Fiordland National Park
- Bike back to town on the Lake2Lake Cycle Trail
- Life Jacket
- Spray coat (light, water-proof knee length)
- Cold weather gear (if needed - hat, gloves, and a blanket)
- Standard Bike and Helmet (which is required by law) - Ebikes available at extra cost
- Picnic lunch available at additional cost
WHAT TO EXPECT
After check-in, guests will be fitted for a life jacket - and bike! - before taking a short ride (7 mins) in our small coach through Southland farms to the Queen’s Reach boat ramp.
The jet boat travels down the Upper Waiau River with a lush beech forest on either side and staggering mountain peaks in every direction. The guide will make stops along the river to talk about the area and its rich history – and also provide plenty of iconic 360-degree spins! Stops will include spots to look for Rainbow and Brown Trout in the crystal-clear waters and three film locations featured in Lord of the Rings.
The mouth of the river opens onto Lake Manapouri – named NZ’s most beautiful lake - and provides one of the most impressive views in Fiordland – if not all of NZ. Here you'll have the unique opportunity to experience solitude and silence when your guide turns off the engine as you gaze towards Leaning Peak – the entrance to Doubtful Sound. Floating amongst these remote waters, your guide will discuss the vast array of conservation efforts to ‘save our birds’ and how Fiordland Jet and guests contribute to such efforts. Highlights include Pomona & Rona Island – just 2 of 33 islands located on Lake Manapouri - that are also predator-free. Surrounded by towering mountains, this place is one not to missed and our Fiordland Jet boat is almost always the only powered craft for miles.
Your guide will then take the boat ashore so you can disembark and step foot into Fiordland National Park to explore the native bush. Learn about the local flora and fauna from our knowledgeable guides up close, all while breathing in the ancient beech forest in one of the largest protected areas in the world.
After the short nature walks, snap a pic of this stunning locale and hop back on the boat to head back up the river to the boat ramp. Your guide will add in more commentary and spins to make the most of our motto – FUN IS GOOD!
At the conclusion of the Pure Wilderness jet boat tour (see below for full description), mountain bikes will be waiting at the boat ramp along with helmets and any personal gear for guests to follow the newly formed?Lake2Lake Cycle Trail back to Te Anau and the Fiordland Jet office. The trail follows the river's edge and is an ideal way to view the Lake Te Anau Control Gates up-close and savor the beauty of Fiordland a bit longer - and get a wee bit of 'enjoyable exercise.' There are heaps of places along the way to enjoy a rest, picnic, or even a refreshing dip on a sunny summer day.
A moderate level of fitness is required - as there are some hills along the way – but in general, this is a great trail for all to enjoy!
Electric bikes are available and advised for those who are not confident in their fitness level - no prior e-bike experience is required.
* Each fare includes a $1.50NZD donation to the Fiordland Trails Trust – responsible for the Lake2Lake Cycle Trail
Know Before You Book:
- FREE Parking & Secure Storage at our office
- Price includes a Pure Wilderness tour and 2 hour bike rental
- Departures are weather dependent - please provide contact details in case of departure amendments
- Please provide passenger heights at time of booking to ensure correctly fitting bike
- All bikes are hardtail (front suspension only) - the trail is unsealed but well-formed/marked
- Sunglasses (year-round)
- Cameras (especially phones) are highly recommended, as there will be ample time for photos - however, all electronics are carried at your own risk
- Dress for the weather - when in doubt, bring a few layers
- Please wear sunscreen if at all sunny - we've got some at the office if you forget!