- Entry to Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
- Tasmanian Devils experience
- Tasting experience at Coal River Farm
- Hostel and motel drop offs
- Hostel and motel pick-ups (start of the trip at Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre)
WHAT TO EXPECT
Enjoy a full day of wildlife and cultural discoveries! Meet the Tasmanian Devil, go back in time in the village of Richmond and taste local produce at Coal River Farm.
A journey along the River Derwent will take us to the historic village of Richmond. There we will have a relaxing lunch and some time to explore this village boasting fascinating history, delicious food and the finest wines.
We will then have a stimulating walk to the Richmond Bridge. Learn all about the history of this oldest bridge in Australia that is still in use and enjoy feeding local ducks.
Next stop: Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Meet the famous Tasmanian Devil, admire the cutest wombats and pet kangaroos.
After a short drive, a private local produce tasting will await us at the Coal River Farm. We will then head back to Hobart passing a scenic city lookout.
The historic village of Richmond
Visit Richmond and learn all about its captivating history. The village is situated in the heart of the Coal River Valley. It used to serve as an important military staging post and convict station linking Hobart with Port Arthur. Richmond is famous for its elegant Georgian architecture. Its beautiful heritage buildings date back as early as the 1820s and are now housing galleries, tea shops, craft boutiques and museums.
The Richmond Bridge is a heritage listed arch bridge. It is located on the B31 ("Convict Trail") in the village of Richmond, 25 kilometres (15.5 miles) north of Hobart. It is the oldest Australian bridge that is still in use and the oldest stone span bridge in Australia. In 2005, this outstanding historical place was added to the Australian National Heritage List.
Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary boasts koalas, wombats, quolls, birds, and amazing native wildlife. The sanctuary is also home to the iconic Tasmanian devil and over 80 free-roaming kangaroos that you can pet and hand-feed.
Coal River Farm
Coal River Farm is all about growing and creating things that people enjoy eating. It is a family-run business that combines growing, creating and sharing the fruits of their labour with anyone that cares about where their food comes from. When you visit the farm there is always something good to pick, taste or learn. See how cheese, chocolate and produce are made before your own eyes. Who knows, maybe you will be asked to taste test their latest creation. A treat for your taste buds!
- Richmond Village
- Richmond Bridge
- Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
- Tasmanian devils experience
- Coal River Farm
- Local produce tasting
Hobart - 11:30 am
Pick up from the Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre
- October - November: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
- December - January - February: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- March - April: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
- May - September: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday
What to bring?
- Drink bottle
- Comfortable trail walking shoes
- Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
- Clothes to suit different weather conditions (layers are a good idea)
- Waterproof jacket (just in case)