- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- Port Arthur Historic Site entry
- Guided walk and harbour cruise
- Hobart CBD hostel and motel pickups and drop offs. Airport drop-offs available.
- Richmond Colonial Village
- Pirates Bay Lookout
- Eaglehawk Neck
- Scenic Walk to Waterfall Bay
- Tasman Arch and the Devil’s Kitchen (Tasman National Park)
- Port Arthur Historic Site (harbour cruise and guided tour)
- Advanced Eco-Certified Tour
What to Expect
Discover Tasmania's fascinating convict past and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Port Arthur Historic Site. Experience an amazing day visiting Richmond, Port Arthur Historic Site, Tasman National Park and many more Tasmanian gems.
Our day starts leaving Hobart and heading through the scenic Coal River Valley, known for its vineyards, farmlands and the settlement of Richmond, Australia's best-preserved colonial village. The village was an important military staging post and convict station linking Hobart with Port Arthur. See the oldest Catholic church in Australia and cross the convict-made Richmond Bridge. Richmond is famous for its elegant Georgian architecture, with its beautiful heritage buildings dating back as early as the 1820's and are now housing galleries, tea shops, craft boutiques and museums. Leaving Richmond, our tour heads south to the Tasman Peninsula.
Pirates Bay is situated high on the hillsides, above the tessellated pavement. The Bay offers panoramic views of the east coast of Tasmania Peninsula and on a clear day, you can admire spectacular vistas Cape Hauy and Cape Pillar. Take a leisurely clifftop stroll to Waterfall Bay, taking in some amazing sweeping ocean views. There will be a stop at Tasman Arch and the Devil's Kitchen. This is a real treat for your eyes, so be sure to bring a camera to try and capture the magic!
The Port Arthur Historic Site is the next stop on our list, where you'll have time to explore the ruins and gardens at your leisure. The historic site accommodates over 30 buildings, restored period homes and ruins set in 40 hectares of landscaped grounds. We will join an interesting guided tour and take a cruise through the harbour, learning the fascinating story of this convict settlement to get an impression of what life bust have been like for prisoners in Port Arthur.
Upon leaving Port Arthur, we return to Hobart with a new appreciation for the wild scenery and fascinating insights into colonial life of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Starts: Hobart 7.30 am
Finishes: Hobart 5.30 pm
Year round: Saturday
October to April: Monday & Thursday
Frequently Asked Questions
All tours are self-catering in nature; there are plenty of food-stops where you can purchase from restaurants, cafes, take-aways or even supermarkets should you wish to use the hostel’s kitchen facilities. Some tours include samplings of local foods as per the itinerary.
Guides can give you recommendations to help you try the great food Tasmania has to offer.
We visit some incredible places throughout Tasmania, and wherever possible get out of the bus to explore. While most of our trips are active in nature our guides aim to offer walks that cater for all types of fitness with easy, medium and hard walking options.
Bring clothing that suits the season, while including warm clothes (it can get cold in the mountains), comfortable walking shoes, toiletries, a towel, hat, sunscreen, waterproof jacket, swimsuit, water bottle and camera. Luggage is restricted to one normal pack, bag or case (20kg) plus a small day pack.
All full day & extended tours include pick up and drop off from your city hostel or hotel. Our tours leave from all major gateways to Tasmania so no matter whether you arrive by boat to Devonport, or by plane to Hobart or Launceston we have a tour to suit you.
The tours that we offer are designed to help you see as much of Tasmania as possible with like minded travelers. There is no maximum age provided you have a good sense of adventure and a reasonable level of fitness, however we do have a minimum age of 8 years old to ensure all passengers get the most from the tour!
Our maximum group size if 24 passengers plus the tour guide. These small group sizes allow you plenty of time to get to know your fellow passengers and guide.
Our tours are conducted in modern, comfortable air-conditioned buses. By having small groups it means we can spend as much time as possible outside the bus exploring the wonderful sights of Tasmania.
- A traveller must be a minimum age of 8 years at the time of the tour to participate.
- Optional activities, are at your own expense, are not included in the price of the tour and do not form part of these terms and conditions
- You acknowledge that the nature of the tour is adventure travel and participation involves a degree of personal risk.
In the event that a booking is cancelled, the following fees will apply:
- Cancellations more than 30 days before departure: 25% of the total cost
- Cancellations between 29 and 8 days of departure: 50% of the total cost
- Cancellations within 7 days of departure: 100% of the cost
- Please note: changes to bookings can be made, however, changes will incur up to a $100 change fee
- 01 TO BE ADVISED @ 07:00
- Allurity Hotel @ 07:30
- Argyle Motor Lodge @ 07:00
- Astor @ 07:30
- Backpackers Imperial (Pick Up from St Davids Cathedral) @ 07:30
- Battery Point Manor @ 07:15
- Bay Hotel Apartments (formerly Woolmers Apartments) @ 07:15
- Best Western Hobart @ 07:30
- Black Buffalo Hotel @ 07:00
- Blue Hills Motel (PICK UP FROM BUS STOP OPPOSITE) @ 07:15
- Brooke Street Pier @ 07:15
- Central Hotel, Bar & Cafe @ 07:30
- Crowne Plaza Hobart @ 07:30
- Customs House (PICK UP FROM BROOKE STREET PIER) @ 07:15
- Edinburgh Gallery Bed & Breakfast @ 07:30
- Fountainside Hotel Hobart @ 07:30
- Globe Hotel @ 07:15
- Grosvenor Court Apartments @ 07:15
- Hadleys Orient Hotel (meet in front of St David's Cathedral) @ 07:30
- Harrington's 102 @ 07:30
- Henry Jones Art Hotel @ 07:30
- Hobart Central YHA @ 07:30
- Hobart City Apartments (Elizabeth St) @ 07:30
- Hobart Tower Motel @ 07:00
- Hobart Travelodge @ 07:30
- Hobart Visitor Information Centre (Cnr Davey & Elizabeth St) @ 07:15
- Hobart's Accommodation & Hostel @ 07:30
- Hotel Grand Chancellor (PICK UP FROM CAMPBELL ST SIDE) @ 07:30
- IBIS Styles (Meet at the TRAVELODGE, Crn Macquarie & Harrington Streets) @ 07:30
- Islington Hotel @ 07:15
- Lenna of Hobart @ 07:15
- Lodge on Elizabeth @ 07:00
- MACq 01 Hotel @ 07:15
- Mantra Collins @ 07:30
- Mantra One @ 07:15
- Mayfair on Cavell @ 07:00
- Mayfair Plaza/Banjos Bus Stop @ 07:15
- Mercure Hobart @ 07:30
- Mid City Motel @ 07:30
- Montacute Bunkhouse ( Pick Up: Cnr Hampden Rd & Stowell Ave) @ 07:15
- Motel 429 @ 07:15
- Movenpick Hotel Hobart @ 07:30
- Narrara Backpackers @ 07:30
- New Sydney (PICK UP FROM MIDCITY OPPOSITE) @ 07:30
- Pickled Frog Backpackers @ 07:30
- Prince of Wales @ 07:15
- Pure T Hotel @ 07:30
- Quest Savoy @ 07:30
- Quest Trinity (Meet at Crn Brooker Highway & Davenport St) @ 07:00
- Quest Waterfront (PICK UP FROM BROOKE ST PIER) @ 07:15
- RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel @ 07:30
- Regent Park Apartments @ 07:15
- Rydges Hotel @ 07:00
- Salamanca Inn @ 07:15
- Salamanca Terraces @ 07:15
- Salamanca Wharf Hotel @ 07:15
- SEE NOTES @ 07:00
- Somerset on Salamanca Hobart @ 07:15
- Somerset on the Pier (PICK UP FROM BROOKE ST PIER) @ 07:15
- St Ives Apartments @ 07:15
- Tassie Backpackers @ The Brunswick Hotel @ 07:30
- The Nook Backpackers @ 07:30
- The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel @ 07:30
- The Tasman Luxury Hotel (Murray St side) @ 07:30
- The Tasman, a Luxury Collection Hotel (Murray St side) @ 07:15
- Travelodge Airport @ 07:00
- Travelodge Hobart @ 07:30
- Vibe Hotel Hobart @ 07:30
- Waggon and Horses Hotel @ 07:00
- Waratah Hotel @ 07:00
- Waterfront Lodge Motel @ 07:00
- Welcome Stranger (meet at Travelodge Macquarie St Hobart) @ 07:30
- Wrest Point Hotel Casino @ 07:15
- Zero Davey Boutique Apartments @ 07:30
Reviews for Port Arthur Historical Tour
Get Instant Confirmation